Petco

www.petco.com
  www.petco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Petco

There are worse places to work

Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Delafield, WI
Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Delafield, WI

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get paid to play with animals, paid training, benefits, paid time off

Cons

Turnover rate really high, vindictive managers, unsupportive managers, hostile work environment, very little raises or opportunity for advancement.

Make sure your employees get along, pay is fair, and managers treat people fairly, provide raises no matter what position the employee is in in the company (even if commission vs hourly (salon workers, etc))

678 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Currently working at Petco (training for Grooming Assistant) Cleanliness issues!

Current Employee - In Training Grooming Assistant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - In Training Grooming Assistant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoy helping and serving animals

Cons

BAD Cleaning habits! Nothing gets cleaned properly. The hot water button on the washer is not working so everything gets washed on warm/cold (that does not kill germs). Laundry detergent is often not there! Wash is left in the washer for a couple days and when it gets discovered it STINKS and MOLDY! There is no protocol for cleaning! No dish detergent to wash the pet water bowls. I have seen grooming employees just rinse with water and not cleaning the bowls out properly, so the bowls are slimmy
    ...... The floors have not been cleaned since I have been there (recently hired). The shears that the groomers use are never cleaned after pre-shaving a dog with poop on its rear and then they use that same blade after bathing and grooming another pet! So disgusting! After the dogs poop or pee on floor the poop gets picked up but the floor never get washed with soap! The kennels are just barely wiped clean, unless I am scrubbing them down with disinfectant! The tubs are not getting wiped down every night with disinfectant. I have yet to see a mop or anything to mop the floors out in the grooming area! This is outrageous what goes on. I have come in the morning to find the same water bowls attached to the cages from the day before. Who is inspecting this stuff? I have talked to my manager about it, but so far have not seen anything change. (I asked the manager to be discreet with the recently appointed manager of the grooming department....but from the attitude I have been getting about my complaints, has only made worse. The other day I was more or less told that it was rude of me to complain. The lady who is training me is sometimes rude to me and condescending! She does however give me praise for following through and not leaving my scheduled time so that I can help her! The grooming area is going through a re org at this time so I came into a disaster! Customers are paying for a clean and healthy environment for their pets and they are getting ripped off! One problem I see is that the groomers are over booked and cannot keep up with cleaning, but some do not clean when they do have the time! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed! I will only say that I am working at a Virginia location. I am not a happy employee at this point and do hope things will change so that I can be happy with working in a clean, safe, environment for the pets. My concern is for the pets! And....over stressed, overworked employees that cannot keep up with important tasks such as cleaning!

Make sure the grooming area is inspected on a regular basis to assure that the grooming area is getting clean and that the equipment used on the dogs are getting sanitized properly including the kennels. Talk to the manager in charge and implement changes in over booking and cleaning! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed!

Decent company with some internal flaws

Current Employee - Store Associate
    Current Employee - Store Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to harness sales experience by recommending pet foods and products and learning about different animals. Decent starting pay. Not an overabundance of training material required.

Cons

Store is often understaffed which leads to unneeded employees stress and customer dissatisfaction. This could be remedied (if only a little) by not including the salaried managers in the allotted weekly hours.
    Employee hotline for complaints about the store or managers is essentially useless. Employees basically have no power which is a shame when you have a manager that even customers would rather not talk to (even in positive situations).

Remove salaried managers from the allotted hours for the week: this would free up approximately 90 hours and would reliever the rampant under-staffing.
    Make the employee hotline more effective. Employees need to be heard as they can offer valuable insight into what is or isn't working in the store.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco