There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Dr. StrangeLove or, How I stopped worrying by not visiting Petc

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Animals, animal lovers, location, pets, ease of access

Cons

Cleanliness, Dead Animals, Cleanliness (again)

Advice to Management

Please monitor your stores better

reviews filtered by
  1. Really Depends on your GM

Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a fun atmosphere with people who love their pets and can be a great place to work. You get to meet people with the same passions and plenty of cute puppies. Corporate has a good philosophy, but your work experience truly depends on your general manager. Their think adoption first and new belief to find happy healthy relationships for animals and their owners is nice.

Cons

Corporate doesn't follow through with their philosophy to ensure that their individual store's are following them. They will not follow their own rules and regulations when it comes to customer complaints, so you have to be willing to do what it takes to make the customer happy. You will be asked to do tons of tasks while still maintaining a high customer satisfaction score with very little payroll to support both of these areas.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are asking you employees to have a greater knowledge of products and pets than your competition and pay accordingly and as always more payroll would be helpful.

2. Dirty store and employees hate people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

Cons

The store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Advice to Management

Get some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco