Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Dr. StrangeLove or, How I stopped worrying by not visiting Petc

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Animals, animal lovers, location, pets, ease of access

Cons

Cleanliness, Dead Animals, Cleanliness (again)

Please monitor your stores better

660 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Multi year employee

Current Employee - Full Time Store Associate
    Current Employee - Full Time Store Associate

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None for full time associates...unless you receive food stamps and housing subsidies from the government. If so than you will probably not lose your benefits due to the low pay and low hours you receive.

Cons

Wages do not keep up with even a moderate rate of inflation. Upper management is all about rewarding their most profitable managers with trips and bonuses while the hourly employees do all the dirty work at barely above minimum wages. Hours are typical retail..nights, weekends and whenever you are needed. Be prepared to scoop animal poop and deal with customers that want to pay internet prices for goods in the store, which is against policy. Computers are ancient...many still running Windows XP and it's just a matter of time before the system is compromised. The motto should be "profits come first" and everything else is unimportant.

"Take a step outside and see what's shaking in the real world" Get your butts out of the headquarters and do some work in your stores to get in touch with reality. We are not "partners" as you like to claim. A partner shares not only the work but the profits and you- do not pay a wage that encourages experienced people to apply and stay with your company and it will be the undoing of your money machine unless you start rewarding your people properly.

Dirty store and employees hate people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

Cons

The store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Get some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco