Petco

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Good part time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I think with big companies it all depends on the management of each individual store, and I had a great manager, worked with great people, I learned a lot made ok money for just being out of high school and found that we took care of our animals, and I felt like management really cared for the welfare of each creature in the store

Cons

I felt like the only bad thing was that I had to do the same jobs over and over again, for example cleaning the animal cages. This gets nauseating over time, to do it three times a week every week and no other associate has to do it but me, I understand I was really good at it but they needed to train others at it to.

Little bit more training on how to get a hold of managers from the cash register, I found myself running around the store just to get an item more than a certain amount off.

748 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Petco is in trouble

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best part about working for Petco is the customers and animals

Cons

If you choose to work for Petco be prepared. Hr is a joke and Upper management only views you as a number. If you need the support of the HR team for harassment issues they are not there, if you have a team that is with drawn by a team member that is totally against the values they are not there. The only time Petco acts is when it has money taken money out of there pockets. Petco use to be about family values and protecting everyone but now there is not a day that goes buy you do not get your position threatened. Before becoming part of the team review them and make the decision for yourself but I caution you.

Get back to your core values. Start remembering who makes it happen. There are groups of teams out there that are way more important to your company that you have lost focus on. Hire a real HR team one that focuses on all the true problems that are making our company fail. You Management team is a bunch of puppets. they do not act for them selves only repeat what is said to them. Why have them if they cannot act to help the store were help is needed. You are disconnected from what is really important and your company will only keep going down the drain until you open your eyes and see what is really happening. You give notice to all your visits. How about showing up and surprise them and your selves on the true conditions of your stores. You may then realize what is happening and then you can start to make the needed changes. Better yet I invite the investors in Petco to come and see the true Petco then make the required changes to the Board to get the company going. I wish I was in the board to talk about the challenges of each store and to make the suggestions needed to get the company back on track. Good luck with our future. You will need it until you open your eyes.

Great for animals

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wright, KY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wright, KY

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on lots of products, they really care about the pets as well as their owners, really involved with adoptions and fundraising for rescue groups, generally a great staff to work with, yearly raises.

Cons

Not every coworker cares about your individual needs, very "hush hush" company, strict policies

Look more into an investigation when something happens. People are getting away with a lot of things. Talk to individuals of the store when a problem arises and get everyones point of view

There are newer employer reviews for Petco