There are newer employer reviews for Petco

I really enjoyed working for this company because of the people I worked with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They did a great job with creating culture and fostering engagement. I consider myself lucky to have been able to work with talented individuals and leaders; the people I worked with at NSC and in the Field is what I enjoyed the most. Opportunities are available to those who prove they want it and can successfully execute. Petco is about performance and the bottom line, just like any other company.

Cons

I think it is the same challenges would you have at any company - needing to be more resourceful, innovative to do more with less.

Good leadership while I was there. Really enjoyed and appreciated team building events. Continue to stay connected with the everyone throughout the org, and continue to be sensitive to those impacted by job relocation to San Antonio.

632 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Pretty good place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My GM was a very nice person who tried to help everybody. Helping people choose pets to suit them. Getting to see people's pets grow over the months. And I got to watch the most heart wrenching adoption ever. A woman who was very much allergic to cats found (as she put it) her "soul mate" of cats. The cat had lost its sister to an act of brutality and was losing weight/luster/hair. They bonded instantly and within a month when she returned with her maine coon she was the most gorgeous cat I had ever seen.

Cons

Training sort of went to a stand still with me, my GM was pushed out by circumstances that he was not able to discuss, new GM just stopped scheduling me and never had time to talk about it.

Overall good company to work for.

Current Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with animals of all types; build great relationships with customers; rewarding job through helping owners and their pets; fun store events; fun annual store leadership summits; good line of communication with most corporate partners; ability to earn more than 100% of annual bonus based on store and company results.

Cons

not the most competitive pay; standard raises; must be able to handle crazy, demanding customers (especially in the grooming salon); difficult to balance tasks at hand with given payroll.

Pay your store management more and retain your top talent through off-schedule merit increases (one or two per district per year) or make compensation adjustments more often. It is hard work, reward that work financially! Give a little more payroll. Even 8 more hours per week would make a huge difference in customer service, sales, and store standards.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco