There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Not a good place to work for animal lovers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT
Former Employee - Sales Associate in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Get to work with animals and animal lovers.
-Pretty fun job.
-Seeing puppies come in each month as the get bigger.
-Learned a lot.

Cons

-Horrible pay.
-Animals have a low priority.
-Too many expectations set on you, like having to get all of truck done in a day but still help 3 customers an hour.
-Management was aweful at my store, I was a sales associate being put on register and the cashiers were being put on the sales floor. When I asked why, I got written up for " questioning management" which apparently you are not allowed to do and then I was on register until I quit as a "punishment."
-Raises are aweful.
-Benefits are aweful.

Need I go on? Definitely one of the worst places I've worked for.

Get some store managers who actually can manage. Stop being so concerned with stuffing your pockets and help your associates out more, we are the ones that make the money you stuff in your pockets. Animals should be number one no matter what. We shouldn't have to wait 3 or 4 hours before taking an animal to the vet. If an animal needs to see a vet, we should be able to take it right then. Stop advertising products for animals that injures or puts the animal at risk of death. As an example, bearded dragons do not live on sand, living on sand can kill them. If Petco really is all about healthy animals then show it in the stores.

632 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Petco is an okay company to work for when you're young, and getting started.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sahuarita, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Sahuarita, AZ

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

General pet knowledge
    Learning the advantages of healthy pet products
    Helping some of the nicest customers
    Discounts and knowing what products are best for your pets
    Working with animals
    Learning to care for different animals

Cons

Very little personal growth
    no benefits
    Poor management (varies depending store I guess)
    Lack of work from other employees (expect to be walked all over)

Please don't sit in the office all day pretending to work. Us "partners" do need help from time to time. And I am pretty sure 15 smokes breaks in an 8 hour shift is not acceptable. Just do your job and be responsible.

Currently working at Petco (training for Grooming Assistant) Cleanliness issues!

Current Employee - In Training Grooming Assistant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - In Training Grooming Assistant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoy helping and serving animals

Cons

BAD Cleaning habits! Nothing gets cleaned properly. The hot water button on the washer is not working so everything gets washed on warm/cold (that does not kill germs). Laundry detergent is often not there! Wash is left in the washer for a couple days and when it gets discovered it STINKS and MOLDY! There is no protocol for cleaning! No dish detergent to wash the pet water bowls. I have seen grooming employees just rinse with water and not cleaning the bowls out properly, so the bowls are slimmy
    ...... The floors have not been cleaned since I have been there (recently hired). The shears that the groomers use are never cleaned after pre-shaving a dog with poop on its rear and then they use that same blade after bathing and grooming another pet! So disgusting! After the dogs poop or pee on floor the poop gets picked up but the floor never get washed with soap! The kennels are just barely wiped clean, unless I am scrubbing them down with disinfectant! The tubs are not getting wiped down every night with disinfectant. I have yet to see a mop or anything to mop the floors out in the grooming area! This is outrageous what goes on. I have come in the morning to find the same water bowls attached to the cages from the day before. Who is inspecting this stuff? I have talked to my manager about it, but so far have not seen anything change. (I asked the manager to be discreet with the recently appointed manager of the grooming department....but from the attitude I have been getting about my complaints, has only made worse. The other day I was more or less told that it was rude of me to complain. The lady who is training me is sometimes rude to me and condescending! She does however give me praise for following through and not leaving my scheduled time so that I can help her! The grooming area is going through a re org at this time so I came into a disaster! Customers are paying for a clean and healthy environment for their pets and they are getting ripped off! One problem I see is that the groomers are over booked and cannot keep up with cleaning, but some do not clean when they do have the time! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed! I will only say that I am working at a Virginia location. I am not a happy employee at this point and do hope things will change so that I can be happy with working in a clean, safe, environment for the pets. My concern is for the pets! And....over stressed, overworked employees that cannot keep up with important tasks such as cleaning!

Make sure the grooming area is inspected on a regular basis to assure that the grooming area is getting clean and that the equipment used on the dogs are getting sanitized properly including the kennels. Talk to the manager in charge and implement changes in over booking and cleaning! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed!

There are newer employer reviews for Petco