There are newer employer reviews for Petco

PETCO

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Petco

Pros

good schedule, 40 hour work week, decent starting wages for management,

Cons

raises are not given out fairly, opportunities for advancement are few and far between, especially when you get into the management levels of the company, there are very few positions for store managers to move into.

create more opportunities for advancement, when the company is doing well raises should be given out accordingly

606 Other Employee Reviews for Petco (View Most Recent)

Not what you think it's going to be. RUN.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco

Pros

The customers that truly care about their pets made it tolerable.
    The knowledge gained about pet nutrition changed my thinking and was very beneficial.
    Benefits were fair to good compared to other corporate retailers.
    Pay WOULD be decent...but in order to truly do a great job, you'd have to LIVE in the store, driving your average hourly wage WAY down. Not worth it.

Cons

One word: PAYROLL.
    270 hours to run a store that has live animals? Honestly, if this were done correctly (and they indeed put animals first), you could spend an easy 160 hours a week for just saltwater and freshwater fish ALONE. Nevermind that you're expected to stop everything for anywhere from 1 to 5 hours every day for "showtime" and just wait on customers. (no extra payroll was given for this) Without going on and on, unless you have no family or life outside your job and you're completely okay with the amount of sickness and death that just "comes with the job" (again, almost all payroll related)- then do NOT work for this company.

For EVERY person who works at DM position or above: Take a broken, low volume store and run it for 2 weeks with ONLY the resources and payroll that any GM would have. No Blackberry, no help, no more than 45 to 50 hours a week. Do it for 2 weeks, then do an OSE walk without preparing for it. Do you really think the store can operate at a standard of excellence with the payroll the company provides? If you're being honest, you will see the truth.

Cashier At PETCO

I worked at Petco

Pros

PETCO was a really nice place to work. It gave a very good training program to learn about the types of animals available in the store, through online courses. Supervisors were very supportive, and very helpful.

Cons

The training process online was very extensive. It consisted of about 3 days worth of classes necessary to continue working for the company.

My supervisors at my PETCO were very supportive and I was happy to work for the company during my time there.

There are newer employer reviews for Petco

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!