There are newer employer reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

yes you can make a difference

Current Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits and really interesting work. The people are great and if you want to work in a non-profit without taking the risk that the place will fold, this is the place.

Cons

Pew has grown very rapidly and the systems show it. Budget systems have now improved, communications and approvals for reports have been streamlined, but the contracting process is still slow and cumbersome. There's still no real internal communications function so the junior staff can be gossipy and cliquey.

Keep fixing processes.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts (View Most Recent)

Frustrated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits; Working for a prestigious name

Cons

I couldn't agree more with the other reviews here. Pew hires smart, driven people. I was lured away from another DC non-profit. Biggest mistake in my career track.
    Pew is obsessed with optics and not interested in actually doing any substantive work. It is a pity since they have enormous resources and could really make a contribution if they want.
    Politics and paranoia is rife. Decision-making is arbitrary and there are no set processes for anything. In my time there I never went through a different process each time I needed something approved because it kept changing. It is maddening. The organization is top-heavy and managers do more editing and "fact" checking than any original work. Get used to meetings for everything and meeting multiple times for even the most mundane issues. There is the unwritten code of conduct which folks are only too happy to tell you about (no closed shoes, number of plants allowed etc.). I was prepared for the bureau"crazy" but was frustrated with the lack of direction and/or leadership.
    Pew hires smart folks and then suffocates them by not letting them do real work.
    The sheen of Pew wears off really fast.

The word is out on the street , so shape up or risk tarnishing your brand.

Big waste of resources and talent

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are good. Most of the staff are very smart and dedicated to their work.

Cons

Within the department, top management is obsessed with perfection, to the point that staff are paralyzed. The requirement to get internal communication approved by an upper-level manager creates a substantial bottleneck - drafting, editing, rewriting, waiting for comments, starting over. Substantive work (such as research) has to wait in the same long line to get approval, which usually takes months. Upper-level managers do not set project priorities, instead telling staff they need to figure it out themselves. Every few months, some big new direction is announced and then usually dropped without telling staff - but only after we've spent a lot of effort pursuing the new direction. Upper-level managers do not admit to mistakes or misfires, so there is no opportunity to learn from our experience.

Set priorities! Hire second-tier managers to whom you can delegate some authority for approval. Articulate your expectations and then stick with them so that staff will have a chance of producing something you can go along with.

There are newer employer reviews for Pew Charitable Trusts

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!