Pew Charitable Trusts

www.pewtrusts.org

Some amazing people but toxic culture

Senior Officer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood salary; benefits; vacation. Many talented and interesting colleagues, including some with excellent sense of humor. Fascinating organizational history. May sound trite but occasionally sense of doing good work to help the world. Always fun to read in the news about work you've been involved with.

ConsThe list is long so it's hard to know where to start. But it probably all starts & ends with the toxic culture, which itself no doubt stems from the top. The board is very insulated from conditions on the ground & board meetings are tightly orchestrated affairs to keep it that way. I watched as some extremely talented and devoted people were hired and then eliminated in short order for no good reason. And as others who had been there for years and literally given all but their lives to Pew were ushered out, also for seemingly no good reason. Absolutely zero loyalty to some very good people. This continues to happen & has destroyed morale. No consistent leadership. Philly office has been eviscerated in order to shift everything to DC. Historically speaking, there was a purge in the mid to late 1980's when the current CEO first came to power. Some board members, including Pew family members, resigned out of frustration with the direction of the organization at that time. I wonder how these early battles and relationships with the then-CEO, Thomas Langfitt, impacted the long-term leadership style of the current CEO. One Managing Director seems to have more power & leverage than all the others combined and this hurts morale as much as the constant employee turnover. The absorption & creation of Pew Environment Group caused major culture clash and did not seem well planned out. The review slamming the "sycophants and sociopaths" around the CEO is unfair in that people do what they have to in order to survive and feed their families & that's true in any organization, not only Pew. I think most people at Pew are actually very good people at core but there are some who just get warped by the culture over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the past and get out ahead of it. Be open and provide for real interviews with Philadelphia press and others instead of boycotting media.
Communications and PR can only do so much. Real world understands that it's job of Communications to spin stories & try to make Pew look effective but most people see through spin. Image is not everything; substance & honesty is.

Chivalry is dead.

Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pew looks great on a resume. It's easy to spin work experience at Pew into a talking points for working elsewhere, and you have access… Cons: A few years back, we had just moved into the 901 E Street location, and myself and another administrative assistant were walking back from the… Advice to Senior Management: Rebecca Rimel had a good run in Pew's early days, but she needs to go. As far as I know, she has no succession plan.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Pew has jumped the shark...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time

Pros: Pew's benefit package is generous to most, its reputation for… Cons: Working at Pew, from an operations standpoint, is a challenging experience. Process and politics often get in the way of - and frequently dismantle -… Advice to Senior Management: Practice what you preach, and start by preaching the truth… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Pew Charitable Trusts.

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!