Pew Charitable Trusts

www.pewtrusts.org

Employees are martyrs

Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits are top-notch; it a dynamic environment (never boring); coworkers are intellegent and thought-provoking; you work for a great cause.

ConsOrganization is management-centric: there are 2-3 managers per staff; even the workplan lists employee levels as "senior manager, deputy director, unit manager, everyone else". They will often choose an outside hire rather than promote qualified individuals from within. Management isn't open or receptive to discussions of career development or compensation. Performance reviews are backwards: regardless of your current performance, if you were a valued contributor last year, you can't be labeled as one again (so there's no means for motivation). There are too many other issues with the performance review process to list here, but it's one of the worst systems I've ever seen. There is a complete lack in trust in your professional ability, which can lead to confidence issues in perfectly capable employees.

Pew is also going through a reorganization, where positions in their Philadelphia office are being relocated to DC. Existing employees in those positions were not offered to be moved to DC, so unneccessary layoffs occured. There should never be a financial situation where both salary expense (from hiring new, more expensive employees in a more expensive area) and severance expense increase at the same time during a reporting period, but Pew managed to do just that.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow Pew's mantra: TRUST the people. Instill better employee relations to keep morale high. Bring in a CEO who has more business experience than a nursing degree, so they can understand the business impact of foolish decisions before making them.

Chivalry is dead.

Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pew looks great on a resume. It's easy to spin work experience at Pew into a talking points for working elsewhere, and you have access… Cons: A few years back, we had just moved into the 901 E Street location, and myself and another administrative assistant were walking back from the… Advice to Senior Management: Rebecca Rimel had a good run in Pew's early days, but she needs to go. As far as I know, she has no succession plan.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Some amazing people but toxic culture

Senior Officer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good salary; benefits; vacation. Many talented and interesting colleagues, including some with excellent sense of humor. Fascinating organizational history. May sound… Cons: The list is long so it's hard to know where to start. But it probably all starts & ends with the toxic culture, which… Advice to Senior Management: Be honest about the past and get out ahead of it. Be open and provide for real interviews with Philadelphia press and others instead… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Pew Charitable Trusts.

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!