Pew Charitable Trusts

www.pewtrusts.org

Tough environment; worth it if you can survive it, at least for a while.

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get to work with super smart, talented people. Great opportunity to learn from them. Phenomenal benefits, though I hear that might change soon with all of the recent growth from the past few years. Doggedly non-partisan, though the employees tend to be left-of-center. More money than God. Nice digs. Worth working here for as long as you can stand it, for the experience, the reputation and the exposure to a demanding environment. Lots of great people who are genuinely interested in effecting change for the greater good.

ConsDo. Not. Make. Mistakes. The fear is perceived and real. Lots of big egos, with brains to match. Very high expectations that are not always in line with resources and skills of your team (odd, considering that talent and money abound). The bureaucracy will make you miserable and can get in the way of the work at every level. Lots of emphasis on organisation and efficiency for efficiency's sake, but not applied wisely or well, and--most frustrating of all--management is held to the same useless standards in name only. Can feel oppressive. The CEO is frosty but tries to be folksy, but has done (I think) a commendable and ruthlessly efficient job of steering the organisation through a period of intense growth. No one says you have to like her. She has my respect and was always cordial, respectful and friendly to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to start? Leadership is so all over the map that there is only one thing I can think of that would apply as a general rule. The fear of retribution is high. I am reluctant to even post this review. Perhaps that's a good place to start. Being ferociously protective of your reputation is one thing. A culture of fear is another.

Very few advantages to working here

Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - Great benefits - Good office location - Generally working towards good causes (but usually only… Cons: Where to begin. I worked here for six years and, in all honesty, advanced and did well for myself despite being unhappy at times. Unfortunately,… Advice to Senior Management: The Pew Board needs to wake up to the terrible conditions at the organization: millions of dollars are… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A good place to get experience in DC

Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Pew Charitable Trusts full-time for more than a year

Pros: This job looks great on paper Cons: Not so many cons for this job Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Pew Charitable Trusts.

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!