Pharmaceutical Product Development

www.ppdi.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development

Great entry-level opportunity, good experience in pharmaceuticals.

Former Employee - Scientist in Middleton, WI
Former Employee - Scientist in Middleton, WI

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development

Pros

Employees are very happy, company has good benefits for its employees and the attitude is very fair for balancing home and work life. Flexible hours balance nicely with the structure of the company and the nature of the work.

Cons

As an entry level scientist it is a good opportunity to gain lab experience and learn about the industry. After a few levels of promotion you plateau with salary and advancement usually.

322 Other Employee Reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development (View Most Recent)

Assistant Scientist Review

Former Employee - Assistant Scientist in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Scientist in Middleton, WI

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck every 2 weeks, benefits, and good experience right out of college, if you last....

Cons

First of all, this is one of those companies that has massive hiring blitzes where they'll take anyone with any experience, especially if you are a recent college graduate like I was. After a whirlwind 2 week training session, they put you into your area of work (I was in the small molecule department) and expect you to know everything as if you've been there for years and know what you are doing.

But heaven forbid if you make a mistake in the lab doing sample prep or worse, doing incorrect documentation. They must have a 1 strike and you're done policy there. No chance to fix mistakes or improve on them with a employee development plan. Also the lack of equipment is a big issue. 8 + buildings where I worked and every day you should expect to visit them looking for glassware and equipment. If you are lucky enough to find it, you can guarantee it probably wasn't washed and its in pretty rough shape.

The management you work for if you are one of the "scientists" is strictly those who "run" the lab. As some previous reviews have stated, there is a lack of knowledge at the management level. There were many days I felt that they, my supervisors, had no clue what was going on. Plus, I never saw them working in the lab doing research or completing projects. They were always sitting at their desks at their computers. Oh, and good luck trying to talk with them if you have a problem or need their help. They are NEVER around when you need them and instead schedule these meetings known as "1 on 1". Do not think that these will occur when they are scheduled because they keep being rescheduled and when you finally get to talk with them, they have nothing good to say.

I understand the world of a CRO is fast paced and hectic, but with the lack of real management and the lack knowledgeable people (don't even get me started on my co workers, I can guarantee you that they truly had no idea what they were doing), it it is just unbearable. Even lab workers should have some respect and at PPD you have none. You are a face and a number and you can and will be terminated for no reason at all and let go at a moment's notice, like I was. And that's fine because my new job treats me a lot better and I feel like I am going somewhere with them.

My humble opinion? If you see any scientist openings at any of the PPD locations across the US, don't jump right on it. Do your research on them and make sure your education and experience matches 100% to the job you are applying for. But I would just keep looking elsewhere and try and locate a company that actually cares about its employees and values their skills, unlike PPD...

Actually know what the heck you guys are doing!! And actually manage your employees. Don't wait till something major happens and then pull them aside for a 1 on 1 meeting to tell them "oh, you're just not working out"...

Also the pay isn't that great for the stress you're put under.

Good place to start in the clinical research field

Current Employee - Clinical Research Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development

Pros

PPD has several entry level positions for college grads with a variety of advancement opportunities. The research team environment is fun, open and hours are very flexible.

Cons

Salary is low compared to almost all other CROs leading to a significant amount of turnover in every department. Most people who accept the jobs are doing to gain experience so they can apply elsewhere.

Pay your employees more to reduce the turnover rate. This will lead to reduced spending in training and costly errors committed by inexperienced employees. Also you should listen when suggestions are made to improve efficiency especially when it comes to the software we all use.

There are newer employer reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development