There are newer employer reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development

great for starting out in the field

Current Employee - CRA II in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - CRA II in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hire home-based employees with no previous monitoring experience, as long as the background implies that the candidate is trainable for CRA work. Also, I'm not usually traveling so much that I get burnt out. For me, the work-life balance has been fine. I do believe that my line manager and my CTMs have a lot to do with that. Expense reporting simple and completely online. No mailing in receipts.

Cons

Pay, pay pay. Low on the scale. They are also starting to get a little excessive with tracking billable time. I really think they need to budget their studies a little better and get off the backs of the CRAs who are already handling a lot of work.

Advice to Management

The pay scale needs to be increased. I propose, in order to get your turnover rate down, CRAs with a year in the company should get substantial rate increases that are more in line with other CROs. In my case, I need about $20k more a year to consider staying.

Other Employee Reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development

Use for CRO industry experience, then move to higher paying CRO.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some training programs are high quality CRO experience HIghing preferences are low - easy to get in the door

Cons

Management is comprised of good ole boys club. Initiatives are rarely tested - throw something against the wall and hope it sticks. Technology is basic - company is ran off of personal spreadsheets HR department is nearly incompetent - bulling, intimidation are means of managing - consistent policies are not existent Project Managers are worst in the industry In-fighting between departments and politics

Advice to Management

Bring in new thinking and trained department heads that can deliver on quality. Develop tools or policies that are global in nature Start over with the HR department

PPD

Current Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC

Pros

I think PPD is a great company for those who are starting out in the CRO industry. As long as you're willing to work hard, it'll be a rewarding experience that offers a tremendous amount of insight about the operations of a leading CRO.

Cons

There's very high employee turnover, but that's true of the industry as a whole. Many competitors offer higher salaries with the ability to work from home more frequently.

Advice to Management

Higher pay for employees, especially those who've stayed with the company for years. More equal distribution of the work-load, as it's not uncommon to see employees leaving at 7 PM and logging back on to finish work at home.