Pharmaceutical Product Development

There are newer employer reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development

Demanding but fair

Former Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move up the latter and to work on various clinical projects. One of the few CROs at the time that would provide training to junior personnel entering the industry. Their education orientation program to get all new hires on the same page was very helpful to recent hires.

Cons

There was a lot of turnover especially in the clinical research sector related to the high amount of travel involving clinical trial management.

332 Other Employee Reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development (View Most Recent)

Learning experience with negative management.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work that our project does is interesting and engaging. Training offerings extensive (online). Variety of different phases of clinical work being conducted.

Cons

Unable to transfer til the 2 year mark. Project I am on has negative management that is inconsistent, unclear and punitive in its' discipline. The team members are made to feel dispensable and without value, but expected to unilaterally give up personal time to tend to company needs.

Treat employees with value. Respect others. Engage the team in why decisions are made and inform the team as a whole if changes are implemented. Be proactive, not punitive.

A good place to train, a better place to leave behind

Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong training and infrastructure, nice facilities (at headquarters). PPD hires entry level/no experience employees (good way to enter the industry). The new CEO (as of 2012/2013 from Pfizer) is a smart guy with strong experience and will lead the company well. Nice HQ location. That's about all the good there is.

Cons

Management is clueless. My accounts shifted periodically so I got to work with several managers, very few of which had any clue what was going on with their teams/accounts. Typical complaints of "overworked and underpaid" really don't convey what it's like at PPD. Lowest paying company in the industry and they work you twice as hard (which explains why so many people left after only a few months). Many employees use this as a jumping off point, PPD will hire entry level with no experience but has robust training-get your foot in the industry door by working and training here-you'll be recruited by a competitor in no time for twice the pay and half the hours (give or take). I was clocking 100+ hour work weeks due to demanding clients and had to justify this to my manager (again-clueless about the team's workload) even though I was salaried. Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority. Quality of life tripled when I left. Limited career advancement (in fact promotions/raises were just cut from twice yearly to annually). You're just a number.

Specific to my department-Management shows little to no appreciation to their employees for their time and efforts, unless you're one of the few favored individuals, you will work most nights and weekends, even managers had this burden, you will be disrespected by your sales reps and treated as though you are beneath them.

Pay attention. Don't come by your team's area once a week-talk with them, get a clue what's going on. Show your employees that you are aware of their efforts AND appreciate them. Don't let other staff demean your team just because their salary is higher (BD reps). Start paying your employees more, they'll be willing to work hard (since they already do) but they might actually stick around...

There are newer employer reviews for Pharmaceutical Product Development