There are newer employer reviews for Phase One Consulting Group

Good company for growth

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Growing company with still a small company feel
- Company is well diversified across multiple Federal agencies
- Investments in employees and employee programs is increasing

Cons

- Need to allow for more junior roles

Keep investing in mid-level employees so that they can be the future leaders. Communicate our wins more frequently help encourage more cross-project collaboration.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Phase One Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

Never happier to have left a job

Former Employee - Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ample supply of beer in the fridge if you work on-site.

Cons

I left this company a year ago for a position with a different employer. I had been at POCG for about 3 years prior to that and had a few jobs before POCG. At POCG, my career went downhill. There were no growth opportunities, managers regularly demanded me to change my hours, and work was made needlessly complicated. One team I was on had 7 people total - 4 were managers. Directors are more focused on getting new contracts than they are on managing their current contracts. There are also no educational opportunities. This is a horrible place to work if you are looking to move up or to advance your career. Since leaving the company a year ago, I am not only less stressed and better paid, I'm also advancing rapidly. The best part is that I don't get phone calls from multiple managers while I'm at home with my family.

A story of smoke, mirrors, and greed - please know what you are getting into

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group

Pros

To be completely candid, the work at Phase One isn't bad though the agencies they support are those is trouble and not necessarily on the cutting edge of effectiveness - this is often the case but you will see some firms attract the great agencies like NASA. That's not this firm. As another plus, really smart, interesting, likable people work at Phase One.

The pay and benefits are decent and the snacks in the kitchen are solid. And there are multiple types of coffee machines from which to choose. And there is a keg to make the office environment seem cool (cheaper than paying for employee training or letting employees have time between assignments if circumstances beyond their control require).

Cons

After a while every employee has a moment where they realize they are just an expendable number and all the hard work they have contributed means nothing since they are not owners. But then again if you talk to some of the partners they will tell this to you to your face. Sure there are bright people at Phase One but they leave more quickly than at a typical consulting firm once they realize the ugly truth. Phase One offers really high recruiting bonuses - $5000 - because they are betting on loyalty among employees and their friends as well as greed will refresh talent faster than it leaves.

They pay well but you have to leave your soul at the door. No one is committed to mentoring, training, or career development. The most junior employees who can't get into big firms are squeezed for everything they have with empty promises of advancement. The stars are rewarded well and held on a pedestal that there egos and ambition can't resist, not realizing they could make more money and accelerate their careers even faster if they went elsewhere.

The partners don't get along with each other so the firm lacks a coherent vision. Directors are essentially ponzis with no real vote in how the firm is run. There is no clear promotion track so you have to really like politics, align yourself with specific people that may or may not be walking on water by the time you need their help, and prove yourself yesterday and today- partners admit loyalty means nothing to them- with whatever you did over time essentially meaningless (i.e. making employees walk on egg shells is a preferred strategy).

If an employee satisfaction survey was taken the results would be startling (which is why none has ever been done). Pretty much everyone is looking to leave or just really financially comfortable. And they do a great job of finding people whose ambition and rose-colored views get the best of them, at least until they to get to a point where they feel stuck and slowly begin climbing out. The really good people leave quicker than the good people and the not so good people usually get transitioned out so to make the good people feel like they have to work harder to pass the mustard.

The good news is all the partners have $2M+ houses so they are very committed to keeping the business going at whatever costs and I truly mean whatever costs.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If you read this and then decide to join Phase One, remember that I told you so.

Not applicable. Management doesn't respond to advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Phase One Consulting Group

Worked for Phase One Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!