There are newer employer reviews for Phenomenex

An okay job

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good environment, nice people, growing company

Cons

pay is not very good

37 Other Employee Reviews for Phenomenex (View Most Recent)

I love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Phenomenex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's not just a paycheck. Its a career I can be passionate about.
    First of all, we make products that make help to make life better for all living things, so I feel GOOD about what I do every day. Not many people can say that.
    Second, and most poignantly, the PEOPLE are what make this place amazing. I have never worked for a company with so many incredibly smart, motivated, inspiring, and funny people. It makes the day fly by and it keeps me happy.
    Third, the work environment itself is really different and refreshing. The walls are painted in bold colors like lime green, yellow, purple, and orange, and there is art everywhere! This kind of energetic decor is very uncommon for a scientific company. We have a gym, a game room, a sleeping room, and lots of fun events during the workday. We even have weekend trips - skiing, white water rafting, and deep sea fishing!
    Fourth, this is really a "make it what you want" environment. Management helps to develop your talents for promotions within the company and even creates new positions for those with the right skill set and determination. I have held multiple positions during my tenure, each coming with new and exciting responsibilities that are aligned with my passions.
    Fifth, the company is dedicated to philanthropy - which I love. We work with so many organizations around the world on so many initiatives - we have on-site blood drives, raise funds for disaster relief, organize efforts to alleviate starvation and eliminate famine, support education and youth programs, raise funds and awareness for cancer and disease research, and more. It feels great to work for a company with a CEO who actually CARES about humanity. There are events all the time, and we are given regular time off of work to volunteer at these events ON TOP of a full paid day off each year to volunteer for whatever charity we are personally committed to.
    Sixth, I have a voice. Senior Management cares about what I think and asks for my opinion. Plus, I feel appreciated for what I do, which means so much to me.
    Seventh, the CEO is awesome. He has an open door policy and is very approachable and friendly to all. Its obvious that he loves his company and employees. He is passionate about philanthropy and supports so many initiatives worldwide. Plus, he's hilarious! He joins in on the fun during company events and he's never afraid to be silly or embarrass himself for the sake of good humor and fun.
    Lastly - I feel like I am a part of a big Phenomenex family, both here in Torrance and in all our offices around the world. We all take care of each other, and I'm so grateful for that.

Cons

There are lots of times where we have to put in long hours, but if i didn't care, I wouldn't stay. I only do it because I believe in what I'm doing and care about the success of the company and my team.

Thriving Family Owned Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Phenomenex full-time

Pros

Financially stable company (a rarity nowadays), lots of great people at all levels, fun company events, great offices/facilities, on-site amenities like fitness center and reading rooms, very good products, focus on customers, A+++++ founder/CEO who is brilliant and very involved in the business.

Cons

Compensation tends to be significantly lower than industry and regional averages, little opportunity for advancement, lots of dead weight near the top of the food chain, primarily caused by CEO's friends and family members placed in management positions despite lack of qualification. Heavy emphasis on working hard and putting in extra hours, although recently that seems common at every successful company.

If compensation were increased somewhat then the company would have an easier time retaining talent. Also, the CEO should pay more attention to what his friends and family members do with their time at the office. Just because they are trustworthy and they spend a lot of time at the office does not mean they are qualified, productive, or the best possible choice for the role.

There are newer employer reviews for Phenomenex