There are newer employer reviews for Philadelphia Fire Department

My career here at PFD has been stressful, physically demanding, educational and at time rewarding serving the citizens.

Current Employee - Fire Lieutenant
Current Employee - Fire Lieutenant

I have been working at Philadelphia Fire Department

Pros

Depending on your station or work place it can be very comfortable, educational and fun. The fire department allows its employees time to seek part time employment due to its four (4) on and (4) off work schedule. The PFD is strong on training and certifications The safety equipment and tools are good . The opportunity for females in the fire department is limitless, whether in the field or staff. The Police and Fire credit Union is second to none in banking.

Cons

Our work uniform is dark blue all your round which is very uncomfortable in the summer months. Employees are not allowed to live outside of Philadelphia. at any given time Our fire houses are brown out ( closed) due to funding and staffing personel.The average salary base is 77th in the nation which is extremely low for a major metro city.

All thou Philadelphia Fire Department has numerous fund raiser for many organizations. I believe due to the shortage of funds to our department, there should be some type of fund raiser for our well being. The citizens of Philadelphia already see what a great job we provide I believe they would gladly help our department.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Philadelphia Fire Department (View Most Recent)

It was and is a great opportunity for anyone to grow and learn many aspect of life while gaining education as well.

Former Employee - Fmo in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fmo in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Fire Department full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to develop yourself as a valuable human being.

Cons

The long work hours and health risk in fire suppression.

Caution to upper management. I do understand that the work force has and must change to fit the economy, but don't loss sight that this career is like no other. It is more important for one to what to be there rather being there to pay their bills. You will find a better employee who is willing to go the extra mile for you and his or her co-firefighter. FMO

Philadelphia Fire Department a way of life

Former Employee - Fire Lieutenant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fire Lieutenant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Fire Department full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A side from being one of the top one or two careers you can have in Philadelphia. It's a culture and a way of life that you embrace when you join the brotherhood of Local 22 , Firefighters/Paramedics family. It's training's, challenges, duty, and respect you obtain from being one of Philadelphia's finest. I will always be proud of being apart of that family.

Cons

Long and hard sometime endless hours on the fire ground\. In the extreme heat and cold of Philadelphia's weather. The constant threat of bodily harm and unforeseen death to the public and firefighters, this career or life choice can question your faith in any religion. Minor to major injuries, cancer, infectious diseases and the ability to adapt bad habits to cope with your chosen career. With all that said, the opportunity for person growth it you survive is good. What don't kill you makes you stronger...........

Like in any way of life the motivation to advance in this organization is come up hill, so that what comes down hill won't get on you so much that you don't or can't get up hill. Mine you when you get up hill bring you memory of how it was down hill and not some much anger of being down hill and maybe you can make a difference for all up and down the hill.

There are newer employer reviews for Philadelphia Fire Department