There are newer employer reviews for Philadelphia Fire Department

My career here at PFD has been stressful, physically demanding, educational and at time rewarding serving the citizens.

Current Employee - Fire Lieutenant
Current Employee - Fire Lieutenant

I have been working at Philadelphia Fire Department

Pros

Depending on your station or work place it can be very comfortable, educational and fun. The fire department allows its employees time to seek part time employment due to its four (4) on and (4) off work schedule. The PFD is strong on training and certifications The safety equipment and tools are good . The opportunity for females in the fire department is limitless, whether in the field or staff. The Police and Fire credit Union is second to none in banking.

Cons

Our work uniform is dark blue all your round which is very uncomfortable in the summer months. Employees are not allowed to live outside of Philadelphia. at any given time Our fire houses are brown out ( closed) due to funding and staffing personel.The average salary base is 77th in the nation which is extremely low for a major metro city.

Advice to Management

All thou Philadelphia Fire Department has numerous fund raiser for many organizations. I believe due to the shortage of funds to our department, there should be some type of fund raiser for our well being. The citizens of Philadelphia already see what a great job we provide I believe they would gladly help our department.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great job if you have the abilities to do it.

I have been working at Philadelphia Fire Department

Pros

People that you work with make the job.

Cons

Politicians and bean counters are trying their best to destroy morale.

2. It was and is a great opportunity for anyone to grow and learn many aspect of life while gaining education as well.

Former Employee - Fmo in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Fmo in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Fire Department full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to develop yourself as a valuable human being.

Cons

The long work hours and health risk in fire suppression.

Advice to Management

Caution to upper management. I do understand that the work force has and must change to fit the economy, but don't loss sight that this career is like no other. It is more important for one to what to be there rather being there to pay their bills. You will find a better employee who is willing to go the extra mile for you and his or her co-firefighter. FMO