Philip Morris USA

www.philipmorrisusa.com
There are newer employer reviews for Philip Morris USA

Good corporate place to learn the ropes on practically everything

Former Employee - Front Line Leader
Former Employee - Front Line Leader

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

wages were outstanding
perks and benefits package were unparalled for industry
Fortune 500
training programs are great
number one in industry
long history

Cons

losing market share to alternatives
legal issues regarding product
downsizing due to the first 2 things mentioned
good old boys culture

Stop advancing the "yes" men or women and put in the people who ACTUALLY have MBA degrees and or are the best fit for the job and the company as a whole versus your ego or political agenda

63 Other Employee Reviews for Philip Morris USA (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Above average pay, great benefits with car and expenses, great sales experience, good work life balance, and for the most part, you are working with good people.

Cons

The joys of working at Philip Morris depend on your Unit and District Manager almost 100%. If you have good ones, then it is a wonderful job. If you have bad ones, it is f-ing miserable. Also tend to promote "chosen ones" who come out of certain schools, and sometimes those chosen ones are idiots.

Everything seems to be going alright. It is a tough industry to be in, maybe the toughest, and Philip Morris is still going strong.

Work here for the benefits and 401K contribution

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Don't join PMUSA Sales for the paycheck, join them because the benefits are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Free van, laptop, cellphone and internet access. You work out of your home and most travel is local so you're home every evening. As for Medical, dental and vision benefits they're incredible. None of my peers who work for Fortune 500 companies come close. Doctors are even blown away by our low deductibles and awesome coverage etc. Did I mention they give 15% of your salary to your 401K even if you don't contibute a dime. ( I think new hires get 18% company contribution) Clark Howard (financial advisor/radio/book) was even shocked! All of this with 3 weeks paid vacation for starters and 14 paid holidays.

Cons

Work seems to get repetitive and you're in gas stations, grocery stores or Wal-Marts 90% of your day. Sometimes you wonder why you have a college degree to arrange cigarettes and cigars. Not mentally stimulating and you're left speaking to gas station managers or clerks most days. With Altria streamlining their business wonder how long a huge sales force is needed. Upper management says we are needed. I guess with the more goals and objectives added each qtr. with quicker turnaround times helps reinsure the need for a large field sales force.

Your direct manager will make you love or hate your job. Each sales rep. has a totally different experience based on where they live and who their boss is.

Cigarettes are not the center of the universe and store owners will only give you 5mins of their attention! Thus get your ideas/product and programs working before you launch them to the FSF. You make us look silly and slightly retarded when you relaunch or revise something for the 5th time in 2 weeks. Get it right in Richmond before taking it national!

There are newer employer reviews for Philip Morris USA