Philips Healthcare Review

Former Contractor - Assembler in North Andover, MA
Former Contractor - Assembler in North Andover, MA

I worked at Philips Healthcare as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, good technology, great lean accomplishments.

Cons

Was a temp for 5 years, no raise no benefits, never hired. Worked better then 90% of the company and pushed to be better, and every time I was pushed to something normal employees wouldn't I'd be pulled back because someone didn't like a young temp getting the better hand.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who actually busts their but to work for you, and who just goes to take money out of your pockets.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Communication is good ... in the 11th hour!

Current Employee - Lead Software Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Software Test Engineer

I have been working at Philips Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good, the people that I work with are very intelligent and truly care about delivering a great product to the end users, and my direct managers were on the spot with what they could share and that they did know.

Cons

Mid-level management (I consider my direct managers to be low-level, since they truly have no power other than guidance of product and employee reviews) and higher are not in touch with the day-to-day activities of the employees under them. Most of the decisions are made at such a distance that the impact they have on the workers does not resonate loud enough. The workers that deliver the products that give customers high hopes for future products and upgrades are thought of as interchangeable pieces. Pieces that can be replaced and moved for the bottom line of saving a few bucks here and there. All of the knowledge that has been gained and then entered into making a product that is something that customers can actually appreciate and want to have in there hospital rooms is merely thought of as data that can be off-loaded to another individual; at a lower cost or because that person lives in the area of consolidation. Planning ahead means approving a position requisition to hire someone in a location that management knows will be closed and relocated even though they have not informed the location yet. The belief of people at that location is that they have a few years before the impending closure that they know will happen. This is conveyed to the new hire and is agreeable. However, less than two months after the new hire is brought in (passing on other offers that he had) the order to shutter the facility and relocate to another facility a 1000 miles away comes in. On top of that, nothing is in place for relocation packages that should have been made, nothing is in place for handling transitions, and no clear picture of the future is relayed. This shows how well the system that is in place works.

Advice to Management

Share information, do not keep things close to your vest. Listen to people that work and produce the amazing products that you have to offer. Quit taking it for granted that because you have been in business for over 100 years that you will have another 100 years. In this day and age, companies have to be able to listen, understand, learn and adapt to move forward with success. Do not wait until an issue has reared its head before you try to chop it off, don't give it a chance to appear and you will be better off.

They do not care about their employees

Former Contractor - Test Technician in Bothell, WA
    Former Contractor - Test Technician in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare as a contractor

Pros

Everything is very well organized which maximizes work flow. There are also very simple procedures to follow to get the work done correctly and efficiently.

Cons

Management is terrible. I was hired as a Temp and was aware that my contract could end anytime. Towards the end of the fourth quarter, there were a lot of lay offs being made. I was informed by someone of high status than I that I was safe, and will remain employed. I received a call 4 days later telling me I was laid off. Since I had no planned on it because I was told I will not be laid off, I had no backup plans. All while finishing school, so now I'm $35,000 in debt and unemployed with an BS degree in EE. Since I also only worked there for 4 months... it isn't enough experience for potential employers to want you.

Advice to Management

Quit thinking about the money. Philips has always been about its people... so focus on the people. Not just the consumers but the people who actually matter and help RUN philips.