There are newer employer reviews for Philips North America

Place to take it easy

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager  in  Andover, MA
Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work-Life balance: Many colleagues left at 4pm from Monday to Thursday. On Friday most people “work” from home. Of course there is little work happening. I know for a fact that some write mails on Thursday and push the sent button on Friday. If you like to take it easy, Philips is for you!
- Benefits and pay: Above market average

Cons

- Titles: Be aware that thousands of employees at Philips hold a Director title or higher. If you don’t have one, you are a second class corporate citizen in some situations. Then again, getting a Director title is rather easy, as Philips uses it extensively for motivation and incentive purposes.
- Leadership: My manager took his job very easy, so I had a lot of freedom to do whatever I wanted. Be aware that part of Dutch culture is consent. You will not get straight forward guidance, but rather long discussion targeting at getting almost everyone’s “I agree”.
- Communication/ culture: At Philips they use the messenger Lync. People sitting next to each other still chat. There is less and less face-to-face communication happening.
- Facilities: There are different facilities. I was sitting in building 1, which is a former production hall. Imagine hundreds of cubicles from the 60ies stuck in a stadium one next to the other.

- Overall: Philips is much too big to be managed effectively. You will likely feel lost in the beginning in an organization that seems/ is unorganized. But that is why you get paid above market and are likely to get a title that other companies do not give for the tasks covered. If you are looking to take it easy and make as much money as possible for as little work as possible, Philips is the choice. If you are looking to learn, develop and be influential, look somewhere else.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Philips North America (View Most Recent)

A dinosaur that doesn't know it will soon be extinct

I worked at Philips North America full-time

Pros

Green card factory for incompetent tech workers

Cons

Incompetent management, no career path, outdated technology, low pay

H1B hiring is not the path to regaining market share and improving profits.

Company going downhill

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were nice and I am still friends with some.

Cons

IT outsourced most of their US sites to 3rd party consultants and Finance is very slowly going through a reorganization and laying people as it down-sizes.
    Everyone is overworked.
    Not going to get anywhere if you don't know how to play office politics.
    If you report to a manager that actually knows how to manage, you might get some recognition, otherwise it is usually when you do something wrong.

Actions speak louder than words. If you want to develop your employees, why don't you start from the bottom up instead of always starting from the top down.

There are newer employer reviews for Philips North America

Worked for Philips North America? Contribute to the Community!