Phillips 66

www.phillips66.com
  www.phillips66.com
There are newer employer reviews for Phillips 66

Great company... Bright future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

Great people.
Good leadership.
Ample opportunity.
Community focused.

Cons

Some unknowns regarding future strategic direction as the company is one half of the recent split of ConocoPhillips.

Focus on innovation

72 Other Employee Reviews for Phillips 66 (View Most Recent)

Great working atmosphere

I worked at Phillips 66 as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very good compensation for employees, many opportunities to learn more about the business, and provides a good work/life balance. Lots of employee perks such as flex days, 5 a side football, BBQ, subsidized gym membership, free canteen and social events.

Cons

Work can sometimes be slow and not a lot to do. Will also be expected to work longer hours when business is busy.

Not a bad company to work for

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time

Pros

Worked with the company for about 5 years.

Working safely is emphasized every day and everyone is expected to watch out for themselves and others.

Pay is on par with the rest of the industry with a competitive bonus program, retirement plans, and medical plans.

The work is generally interesting and adds real value to the business unit and the company.

Lots of opportunities to change positions and continue developing as an individual and professional.

Most of the people I've worked with are friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to work together.

The company seems well positioned within the industry. The assets are well diversified; they are located throughout the world and balance each other. When one section of the company underperforms, other sections sustain company performance (i.e. compare the 2013 3rdQ results with the 2012 3rdQ results).

The CEO consistently recognizes the importance of P66 employees. He looks to be leading the company towards future success, even as he praises the current successes. He seems friendly and down-to-earth.

I'm happy and proud to be a part of this organization.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a lot of unpleasant aspects too.

The company and management emphasize safe work, but don't always address root causes. An investigation team may identify systemic gaps and recommend specific ways to improve, but management will often disproportionately assign responsibility to an individual. This has led to reoccurance of similar incidents and the same facility as well as throughout the company.
    Company standards are poorly written (i.e. LOPA) and conflict with the very regulations they are "based" on. When senior management is informed of this discrepancy by an 3rd party expert, the response is "well I'm going to follow the company standard."
    Along those lines, management seems to have more emphasis on meeting metrics than actually doing what's right. The implied message is "I care more about my career than I do about what's right."
    At the same time, I've always felt safe walking around the facilities I've worked at. It's just a shame the company is so slow to learn from it's mistakes.

Company does not clearly link promotion criteria with performance and managers do not evn know the promotion criteria. There are documented qualifications a salaried employee must meet for promotion (i.e. years of experience, performance history, organizational impact, etc). Managers have regularly misquoted the qualifications. Employees may have exemplary performance, but are not promoted in a timely manner. Some employees have been told "yes, you meet the criteria but we have a metric to meet so we can't promote you until someone retires or resigns."
    Company generally does not offer alternative work schedules (i.e. 9/80s). Some locations have grandfathered flex schedules, but the rest do not and will not. One of the members on the executive leadership team is blatantly against flex schedules ('you already work >9 hrs per day, but for 5 days a week, so why would I give you a free day off?').
    And management wonders why employees leave the company and how to retain talent...it's unfortunate really. Truly, one individual on the executive leadership team sees people as tools who can be worked as hard as he wants without any additional compensation.

Opportunities to change positions exist because of high turnover in the organization. People (particularly those in the 3-10 yr experience range) are leaving the company for competitors that offer better benefits, i.e. higher pay and flex schedules. Management at facilities with high turnover refuse to let employees relocate because the facility already can't retain employees. Those employees then leave the company.
    Headcount is definitely an issue. The staffing levels at many facilities are significantly lower than the levels at similar companies. When people leave P66, they generally go to those other companies.
    Development is almost entirely self-driven. The company offers very little formal training to help employees grow. At least the company is changing that. New training programs have already been implemented and more are being developed.

The company really is a decent place to work. If management paid less attention to their careers and more attention to making improvements, the company consistently and clearly linked promotion and performance, and implement flex schedules, P66 would be an outstanding place to work.

Focus on doing what's right for your employees, not on saying what your boss wants to hear.

There are newer employer reviews for Phillips 66