Phoenix House

www.phoenixhouse.org
There are newer employer reviews for Phoenix House

Terrible for employees, worse for clients

Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm racking my brain trying to think about a single "pro" for working at Phoenix House. The best I can come up with is that the commute wasn't terrible.

Cons

I almost don't know where to start. Probably the worst part of working for PH was their HR department - to call them incompetent would be an understatement. On several occasions, they screwed up my health insurance so badly that I would be at the doctor's office (in the wake of a major injury) only to find out that HR had inadvertently "cancelled" my insurance, leaving me to foot the bill and clean up the mess, which often took weeks. On one occasion, I was left without critical medication on a Friday evening, and had to borrow cash from a co-worker to pay retail for my prescription. On another occasion, when a different co-worker complained that her checks weren't reflecting her accurate salary, HR told her, "you don't have a contract, we can pay you whatever we want."

As awful as PH was to its employees, it seemed to be even worse for clients. PH pays lots of lip service to caring for the indigent, but at the end of the day, they give preferential treatment to self-pay clients, who they get in and out of their system as fast as possible in order increase their bottom line. From where I sat, it seemed like clients were seen as nothing but dollar signs. I would never recommend them to a loved one in need of care.

Finally, in the entire 2 years of working there, I never saw a single pay increase, not even a cost of living increase which is standard pretty much everywhere.

You could start by being more respectful to your employees. On more than one occasion, I witnessed the CEO making insulting comments (sometimes even racist) about employees who were sitting 2 feet away from him. I'm frankly surprised that I lasted as long as I did, but I'm very happy to be rid of this organization and chalking it up to a bad life-choice.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Phoenix House (View Most Recent)

Not a great place to work

I worked at Phoenix House full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to assist those trying to kick their addictions

Cons

Little appreciation for accomplishments and dedication

Pay more attention to the accomplishments of your employees, and try to better understand the challenges that they face.

Low pay high stress but fun

I have been working at Phoenix House

Pros

Love client interaction
    Easy to work
    Decent co workers
    Good location
    A lot of time spent in supervision
    Yup yup yup

Cons

Micro managed style and a consistent sense of everything is a disaster
    poor parking
    Under payed compared to similar jobs in the area
    Responsibilities tacked on under " all other duties assigned by manager"

Keep in Ming the people that work under the director are not clients and should not be treated that way watch you directors and make sure they are not using there power to turn a smooth running program into a stressful sauce pot

There are newer employer reviews for Phoenix House