There are newer employer reviews for Phoenix House

I was overwhelmed with work and help was not good

Current Employee - Case Manager in Hauppauge, NY
Current Employee - Case Manager in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have alot of resources to help clients

Cons

Phoenix House is always understaffed
People at the top are mostly recovering addicts without degrees

Management needs to have more in house training in addition to having a in/house trainer.
Client programs should be more plentiful. Clients should not be idle at any time. The use of caffine and nicotine should cease. You are not clean if you are using either DRUG

32 Other Employee Reviews for Phoenix House (View Most Recent)

In a word - Dysfunctional !

Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Not Telling in New York, NY

I have been working at Phoenix House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the clients really do want to overcome addiction, but most are there just because they got caught and are mandated by the criminal justice system

Cons

The management is dysfunctional. Most are dry-drunks/addicts who carry the same dysfunctional behaviors into the workplace. Senior management has no clue what goes on in the programs. Clients are having sex with clients, Staff are having sex with staff AND clients, people stealing company property and do the minimum to "keep under the radar"...

GET A CLUE

It was a learning experience in culture and race relations

Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support Services in New York, NY

I worked at Phoenix House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PH had some great coworkers. Some people that I became great friends with. It is a good 'starter' job for those new to employment or Social work field.

Cons

The pay is terrible..absolutely terrible. Upper directorship and management makes sure that they get lucrative salaries...but the worker bees are paid lower than most places in the same field. Upper management is very demanding. It was a job that made me ask myself everyday...'Why am I still doing this?..Why am I still here?

In all honesty Phoenix House is run by a group of people (upper westsiders &suburban long Islanders) making decisions for a group of people they would never ever meet or interact outside of the job. The Upper directorship is too close and basically in bed with each other. HR Heads are friends with Senior Directors and will give each other raises while workers have not seen a raise in years. They will always tell workers that you should just be happy to have a job while they are allowed to have a job and a fat raises.
    The place reeks of economic social injustice...feels almost racist. I felt like they felt anyone who was a minority at that job had to be a past drug addict.
    This place is not past laying off 6 people with families who make $28,000 per year to hire another Senior Director (Friend) that makes $220,000 per year..They have done numerous times.

There are newer employer reviews for Phoenix House