There are newer employer reviews for Phunware

Best working environment compare to any mobile startup!

Former Employee - Senior Publisher Account Manager in Newport Beach, CA
Former Employee - Senior Publisher Account Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Phunware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Work top talents and brands
-Free lunch Friday
-Work Hard = Well Compensated
-Top Talents
-Ping Pong

Cons

New Deployment = Bugs
Need better QA on Ad server side

Advice to Management

Focus on marketing & making a robust platform. VP of Marketing is very talented, please listen to her guidance. HR needs help, consider hiring a top recruiter or staffing agency to find top talents in mobile like all the other company.

Phunware Response

Aug 14, 2014Human Resources

Appreciate the feedback! We've actually spent that last couple of months hiring some great folks in Marketing (with the help of a great recruiter) and I'm excited for what is coming in the remainder ... More

reviews filtered by
  1. The Decline of TapIt by Phunware

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Phunware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people of Tapit are vibrant, talented and engrained in the mobile marketing space. The new office building is also on its way to becoming a tech-beacon in Orange County.

Cons

The majority of the team are overworked, underpaid and there is virtually no training or access to events or conferences that would expand the teams knowledge. Since there was zero middle management for nearly a year, an absent and inaccessible EVP/GM in place, and no promoting from within, the majority of the skilled people that built TapIt have left. This has been a huge blow to the office culture and is a main reason I left.

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the petty rules the new EVP set out his first month that began the decline of the office morale and bring back the fun that built the company up to be acquired by Phunware after only 2 years.
    - Stop the micro-management and actually seek out the input of how things can be done better by the talent still remaining.
    - Send motivated team members to trainings and conferences to expand their knowledge so they can be considered for promotion. Continuing to hire outsiders for a young company in such a young industry makes no sense as they have to be trained by the people already there.
    - Recognize the people that actually do more for the company than others and pay them accordingly, and not by seniority.

If things don't change soon for TapIt, I'm afraid they will continue to lose talent and it wont be the same ever again.

Grateful to have worked at Phunware

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Phunware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down, the best custom development shop out there, period. The time, effort, and attention to detail this company gives their clients and employees is exceptional! Management is extremely over communicative, but still gives you enough autonomy to shine as an individual, while still feeling like part of the team. The sales department can be best described as competitive camaraderie. The support the sales staff receives from all other departments is overwhelming. I really felt like part of a family, so much so that even though I no longer work there, I still consider several current employees friends. Its a fast paced, ultra intelligent atmosphere, and there is NO WAY I would be on the career trajectory I am today without the guidance and support Phunware gave me!

Cons

With autonomy comes responsibility. They will give you enough rope to hang yourself, so make sure your on top of your game. If you want to be surrounded by the brightest in the industry, your better bring your A game to begin with, and you have an 'A' game to speak of, the whole rope hanging analogy is a moot point!

Phunware Response

Sep 11, 2014Human Resources

I agree with you completely -- Phunware is a great company and I'm pleased to hear about your experience with the team.

Though you have moved on, I'm glad to know that you reflect on your time at
    ... More