Physical Optics

www.poc.com

POC is a good place to work for the right people.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsI started at this Company in 1987, when it was a start-up Company. At that time there were less than 15 people. Everyone worked hard and it was like a family. After 2-1/2 years I left, since the job I was doing did not fit well with my qualifications. I returned 8 years later to a perfect fit for my capabilities and knew I would never leave again. At that time we had about 100 employees! Now it would be over 200, but having made 5 spin-off companies, some of the employees went with those companies, and some have been sold and two are doing well on their own with their own technologies and intellectual properties.

This Company tries to keep it like a family, but since it's continued growth, and having to find new locations for some divisions, it is harder to be as close as we would like to be since some of the divisions are at other locations. We have a few events each year just so we get to meet the new faces, but the growth sometimes is so huge it is hard to get to know them as we once did. Having a nice holiday party gives us the opportunity to meet the spouses/significant others, and we always encourage people to attend since it is an opportunity for their families to get to know us and understand why the jobs can be so demanding. I guess that comes with the rapid growth. People get stretched to the max, which is a good thing since they become more than they ever expected and gain more confidence with that growth.

ConsNot everyone is a perfect fit for this Company. Some people leave and need to find other opportunities that may fit their skills better. The culture may be difficult for them to fit into. Some of these same people can often come back, and many have.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and respect to all employees to essential to make people feel they are successful and part of the team. People need to know they contribute and their talent is appreciated.

Not worth it, unless you just graduated from school with a graduate degree and you like to write a lot of proposals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Physical Optics

Pros: "Maybe" good salary and benefits. A good place to learn… Cons: I concur with all of what has been said by others. No opportunity to grow… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to those who have left and those who are still there, watch how your people spend money, don't only focus on military market… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

chickens with out heads run this company

Engineer (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

I worked at Physical Optics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: great low level engineers to talk to and collaborate with. free coffee, free candy good health care benefits if… Cons: No Direction, upper management wants to know how to commercialize themselves more but won't do the work to find out themselves. Instead they go out… Advice to Senior Management: Consolidate your upper management why bottle neck growth when the talent is at the bottom of the company. Trust your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Physical Optics.

Worked for Physical Optics? Contribute to the Community!