Picture People

A fun place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Ana, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Picture People

Pros

It is fun to work with children and to make them smile. You get to hold a lot of babies and see very cute things. If you like cameras and photography it is a great place to learn poses and the business of photography. You become very well rounded, proficient in digital photography, lab work, cashiering, and sales.

Cons

It gets very hectic sometimes, especially around the holidays. Parents are sometimes angry and children don't always listen. Management was great when I was there, but if you were management be prepared to put in long hours. Overall it was a nice place to work

Don't overschedule rooms anymore. It gets way too hectic and people become angry.

88 Other Employee Reviews for Picture People (View Most Recent)

Exploiting talented photographers

Former Employee - Picture People Photographer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Picture People Photographer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Picture People

Pros

Interaction with the children and parents and talking with some very gifted photographer. Some great people watching when it was slow.

Cons

When I first started there I thought it was going to be great. But as I was being trained it appeared to me this company was not for its employees only about the almighty dollar. I did not like the fact that every time I came into work I felt like I regressed in my training. Reason being is that I would work for one day for four hours then won't work for three or four days. You can expect someone to remember what they were trained in if they aren't there enough to use it. Also when I was hired I was told that I was to be working part time which means 20 hours a week not 8 hours a pay period. No one can survive on that. I was there for maybe two weeks and they cut my pay. I made the decision that this was not working for me and my family when I worked one Saturday and didn't work again for another week for four hours. And when they cut my pay they told me I was to be flexible. I had not problem with that if they called me in then that was extra hours. I gave them the whole week to call me in and no call. There were some people there who are very talented photographers and can make some killer money on their own but I don't think they realized how much they are being exploited for. If you think about it you get paid $8.50/hr to do a thirty minute sitting. You book the appointment, check them in, get the room ready, you fight with the kids and parents for that perfect picture, you edit your own picture, matted and frame to sell, then do the sell presentation, answer any questions, they if they buy something you have to get the pictures ready if they need them matted and framed, then check them out. So overall you made $8.50/hr if you sold anything like a package set you get .50 cents for your efforts. So the company can make $400 off of you and you made $8.50. Does that seem fair? NO! And one of the qualifications to work there is previous photography experience. So they are using the talents of gifted photographers for there gain. And God forbid if you worked for yourself. To me the attitude there is very studio snobbish. I would never recommend anyone to work there.

Pay attention to your employees. Train them properly they are what make you money. Treat them badly and you’re out of the job.

Do Not Work For This Company.

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Picture People

Pros

If you love photography and children then it is rewarding to see the end result. Getting to know customers and sharing their memories with them of theyre growing kids and pets. Typically nice employees. They do usually have a good outcome to their photos.

Cons

For those who are knowledgeable in photography everything is preset and very unexciting. You even have your focus on an automatic setting. Very often we are more booked than a staff of three can handle on a given day so we look very rushed and unprofessional on weekends. I was there during the time when they were cutting a lot of people and was signed up for full time then got demoted to regular and then a temp within a month and a half because of the economy. as well as a decrease in salary which obviously will not look good on a resume. The managerial staff is very inexperienced and most of the people who are in the managerial positions don't have the right photography experience for the job. I was very unpleased with the way they scheduled us. They would give us hours that were reasonable then 90% of the time when you came in you were sent home within an hour or two into your shift cutting your weekly hours by more than 50%. I felt no incentive to ever want to come into work. I have owned a photography company before and this was the most poorly ran studio i have ever seen. The regular staff are the ones that do all the grunt work that surpasses any managerial task by over 200%. The managers never really lifted a finger to help in the keep up of the studio and mostly just watched the lower employees do everything and then complain about how they got out so late at the end of the night. It was very disturbing to come into work every time and be irritated every time you left. Also, my manager wrote up a schedule and then the district manager had to rewrite it because of how unfair she was being about distributing hours to every employee and even after the fact she still would call in every day and tell each regular employee that they were to leave early etc. Most of the time it was maybe one or two of us that were doing every shoot back to back while the managers did hardly anything except chat in the back and maybe take a sale or two. It was very unprofessional. I will NEVER work for this company again. nor will i recommend anyone to go to have their portraits taken there because of my knowledge of the company behind the scenes.

Rethink what you are doing. Every time i worked it was very unprofessional treatment towards the regular associates and very inexperienced staff. Also have some courtesy about the scheduling if youre going to have someone scheduled it should be expected that they are able to perform every hour they are given not sent home as soon as they get into work EVERY time they work.

There are newer employer reviews for Picture People