Pier 1 Imports
www.pier1.com Fort Worth, TX 5000+ Employees

Fun, fast paced selling environment. High performance expectations for retail, low pay.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

ProsThe products are fun, unique and constantly changing. Most employees are outgoing and pleasant to work with. Many customers truly enjoy shopping here and their excitement makes helping them a pleasure. The benefits for part time employees include a stock purchase plan, a 401k opportunity with contribution matching and access to a discounted health care plan (Pier One DOES NOT pay any portion for part time employees, it is simply a group discount). Employees who average 20 hours a week or more accrue paid vacation time. (Many associates work less than 20 hours a week.) Schedules are extremely flexible and time off is almost guaranteed when requested in advance.

ConsLow pay with lots of physical labor. Average retail pay for associates (ie: slightly above minimum wage) but less for management than some other retailers. The job is demanding. If you are not able to move, lift and bend easily you will not be able to perform because there is often just 2 employees in the store at any time, doing everything from ringing up to loading bedroom dressers. This is great for the company's payroll but quite difficult on the 2 people alone with hundreds of customers.

This job can be a good fit for students and others that want part-time work but is a poor choice for anyone looking for full time. There are only 2 full time positions at any store and one of those is an hourly 32-hour a week position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company lacks consistency across stores. While company policies are the same everywhere, such as the return policy, they are not followed. They are often not communicated well to every employee so customers get different information everywhere they go. This can cause disappointment. Provide updated training material especially for new hires. Much of the trainig material is years old and inaccurate.

Find a way to identify damaged furniture before it is sent to stores, especially for customer orders. No matter how good the customer service is, if a customer has to come back 2-3 times to exchange one piece they will not trust the Pier 1 brand.

Encourage Regional and Divisional management to be encouraging, not only critical, of the store staff. They don't need to be constantly reminded that their jobs are "not rocket science." Rather, provide the store level employees with the same coaching toward success that you talk about constantly and expect them to provide to their associates.

Change the Numbers Game-Put Focus Back on Customers (Not Conversions) & Rewarding Good Work! (Not Mediocrosy)

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros: Love the customers and great products! The company has great a employee discount. The work hours are… Cons: Everyone logically knows you can't make customers buy! But wait-you better find a way because it's your job here and the store is graded on… Advice to Senior Management: Dont be afraid to hire a new team if the current one is not working out! Hold people accountable-literally. Start writing people up but don't… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall, good job with OK pay and good schedule.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros: I worked at Pier 1 mainly because employees receive a discount on merchandise, which I knew I would be purchasing… Cons: My only real problem was that, when I was there at least, management was hesitant to hire new employees though the store was understaffed, and… Advice to Senior Management: Te best advice I could give would be to stick to the schedule agreed upon when employees are hired. Overall,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.