There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a smaller store than say Wal-Mart or Target, so its easier to build connections with customers and have fun with a lot of the regulars who come in. Team members are generally friendly and easy to work with. Merchandise discount is generous.

Cons

Compensation is pitiful and the workload is heavy. There were several occasions when I had to unload a truckload of merchandise by myself. I think it was actually against company policy for me to do that, but managers tend to pick and choose which rules they adhere to and which are okay to just cast aside. There is an obscene amount of pressure on associates to open credit cards, all while expecting them to watch an entire sales floor with maybe one or two other people for backup. Every customer is supposed to be greeted, shown a new product, checked back on while shopping , offered the rewards card 3 times, and given a reason to return. Despite making my sales goals and having a standing reputation as the most reliable person on schedule I still recieved only "Average" marks on my perfomance reviews, which was probably done so that they could avoid giving me a raise. After working there for 4 years I was making about $7.82 an hour. Everyone I worked with said it was the worst job they ever had. Do yourself a favor and look for work in a better place where you will be paid what you are worth and treated with respect.

You are not going to make it another 50 years if you keep things running things the way you do now. Your positions need to pay better and offer more benefits to employees. Also, all levels of management should be held responsible for their actions instead of making scapegoats of lower rung workers.

565 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Pier !

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people and atmosphere within the company

Cons

Periods of down time and inactivity cause the job to be dull at times.

Get Some

You can do better than Pier 1 Imports.

Former Employee - Sales Leader  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the staff are friendly people to work with

Cons

Low pay, micro managed, company expects the world of the employees, but refuse to allot the correct number of hours to get the work done, customers come before employees.

It may be helpful for the managers to stop focusing on the negative i.e. (we did not make our number for the last hr.) and focus on what has been done to improve in the stores. Also, corporate/manager need to understand that talking down to employees only makes for a hostile work place.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!