Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com

Good place to work, but odd hours

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsI worked with some very friendly, helpful, and genuinely nice people. I was able to learn about processing stock and arranging merchandise for a major company. Many of the products are beautiful, and employees receive a 25 percent discount on top of sales prices.

ConsCreativity is hampered, as displays must follow a specifically structured model for each season and holiday. The products, while attractive, are typically overpriced and lower quality than you'd expect. The managerial focus was frequently on getting employees to emphasize signing up for store credit cards, instead of meeting the customer's specific needs.

Many times I was scheduled to work odd hours without warning, ie. 6 AM to 1 PM or 4 PM to 11 PM. Pier 1 also sometimes requires its employees to be "on-call" or have "flex time" in their schedules with no extra compensation, so that they must be available to come into work if need be. This meant that I often had to be ready to be called in for a 6-8 hour block of my day and could not make any plans outside of work, which wound up being very frustrating. Salary was also low.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the flex scheduling. Lessen the focus on opening store credit cards, as the pressure on employees often leads to inefficient employee-customer relations.

Unfair Regional Mgt.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great product. Fun store team. Cons: Unfair Regional Manager. RM played favorites and rather inexperienced. Advice to Senior Management: Better selection of management. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Can be fun to work there, but don't make a career out of it!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Interesting merchandise, can be fun at times, not too many… Cons: constantly harassed about selling Pier 1 card, although they took away most of the benefits that helped sell it in the first place. Raises… Advice to Senior Management: Hire some full time associates instead all students. Full time people… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!