Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com

Good place to work, but odd hours

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsI worked with some very friendly, helpful, and genuinely nice people. I was able to learn about processing stock and arranging merchandise for a major company. Many of the products are beautiful, and employees receive a 25 percent discount on top of sales prices.

ConsCreativity is hampered, as displays must follow a specifically structured model for each season and holiday. The products, while attractive, are typically overpriced and lower quality than you'd expect. The managerial focus was frequently on getting employees to emphasize signing up for store credit cards, instead of meeting the customer's specific needs.

Many times I was scheduled to work odd hours without warning, ie. 6 AM to 1 PM or 4 PM to 11 PM. Pier 1 also sometimes requires its employees to be "on-call" or have "flex time" in their schedules with no extra compensation, so that they must be available to come into work if need be. This meant that I often had to be ready to be called in for a 6-8 hour block of my day and could not make any plans outside of work, which wound up being very frustrating. Salary was also low.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the flex scheduling. Lessen the focus on opening store credit cards, as the pressure on employees often leads to inefficient employee-customer relations.

Great Co-workers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Ocala, FL

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros: The people are great to work with. Cons: The hours and hourly salary is very poor. Advice to Senior Management: Have better hourly salaries for associates. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Pier 1 Imports over 1 Billion in sales and you make your sales people scrub toilets and mop floors... Thats just wrong!

Sales Leader (Current Employee) Holladay, UT

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros: Employee Discount...whoopie, low pay, no hours and flex shifts Cons: Put your life on hold for a Flexshifts? No benefits whatsoever. No hours over 20 hours so they don't have to pay benefits. Expected to… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your sales associates and sales leaders as team members and not as janitors and dock… More
There are newer reviews on Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!