great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Normal, IL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work enviroment, positive experience

Cons

on your feet the whole time

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Good place to work, but odd hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with some very friendly, helpful, and genuinely nice people. I was able to learn about processing stock and arranging merchandise for a major company. Many of the products are beautiful, and employees receive a 25 percent discount on top of sales prices.

Cons

Creativity is hampered, as displays must follow a specifically structured model for each season and holiday. The products, while attractive, are typically overpriced and lower quality than you'd expect. The managerial focus was frequently on getting employees to emphasize signing up for store credit cards, instead of meeting the customer's specific needs. Many times I was scheduled to work odd hours without warning, ie. 6 AM to 1 PM or 4 PM to 11 PM. Pier 1 also sometimes requires its employees to be "on-call" or have "flex time" in their schedules with no extra compensation, so that they must be available to come into work if need be. This meant that I often had to be ready to be called in for a 6-8 hour block of my day and could not make any plans outside of work, which wound up being very frustrating. Salary was also low.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the flex scheduling. Lessen the focus on opening store credit cards, as the pressure on employees often leads to inefficient employee-customer relations.

Can be fun to work there, but don't make a career out of it!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting merchandise, can be fun at times, not too many grumpy customers

Cons

constantly harassed about selling Pier 1 card, although they took away most of the benefits that helped sell it in the first place. Raises are joke, and you hardly get any hours. We had a horrible store manager & it took HR almost a year to start investigating.

Advice to Management

Hire some full time associates instead all students. Full time people will know what they are doing, and they usually give better customer service.