Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Growing, thriving and at the top of it's potential under the new era of CEO Alex Smith's clear vision

Former Employee - Marketing in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Marketing in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Coming off the heels of near implosion less than a decade ago, the company has undergone radical house cleaning, reorganization and is growing leaps and bounds with an eclectic strategy that embraces innovation, is adaptive and confident enough to cut where need be and invest in people, media, and the new model of retail while circling back regularly to make sure the core funk factor and the essence of it's global roots--strayed from for a brief time some 10 years back--are preserved and then some. More or less affordable and appealing to uber-validated design confidence of the bourgeois, the company seems to be riding the sweet spot where boredom and beige are quelled both in terms of price and accessibility. Hiring much more than firing these days, it's a great place to work and would be in amy economy. Certainly, to have made such a winning winning recovery in these past years, makes it just the spot for energetic, creative team members who seek serious employment and challenge of a soon to be really major organization that's business is serving up grown up living clinging firmly to the fun and "whateverness" of the young.... at heart if not in years.

-- Home Office Employee

Cons

Isolated from walking distance food, drink and coffee options other than the in house restaurant (which ain't bad, but....), you can easily spend $15-$25 bucks in one day for breakfast, lunch and vending machine sundries.

Keep the new blood coming in but take value in those who have been through the thick and the thin and thick again.

704 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

Cons

Our general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

* Get rid of flex shifts
    * Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them
    * Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't
    * Update the computer system - it freezes all the time
    * Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop
    * Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture
    * Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated
    * Pay your employees higher than minimum wage
    * Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub
    * Have managers find subs for employees
    * Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Discount on merchandise
    -Prizes for performance

Cons

-Not an environmentally friendly company: we would throw away everything and not recycle
    -They don't care about people ( I was not allowed breaks when I worked there even when I reached the minimum number of hours for a 15-minute break)
    -Bad pay

Focus on people and the environment

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports