Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
  www.pier1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Worst experience of my career

Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD
Current Employee - DC Supervisor in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Immediate employee discount on Pier 1 Import products
Three paid holidays per year
Flexible schedules for part-time employees

Cons

The management is a dictatorship. There is little to no interaction between upper and lower management. Any questions or suggestions are treated as a direct betrayal. Forget about career progression or mentoring.

Take a hard look at the management team and their outdated management style.

625 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to see the new products and meet nice fellow employees.

Cons

Our general manager is demeaning and kept an employee working even when they were struck with a stomach flu. He has broken items and leaves the mess for other employees to clean it up and write off without telling anyone. I wish our general manager didn't "coach" us in and describe how we need to get people to sign up for the card and the things that are on sale for every shift.

* Get rid of flex shifts
    * Set schedules 2 weeks in advance & don't change them
    * Give employees breaks every 2 hours, not every 6 hours; employees shouldn't have to ask for bathroom breaks and told they can't
    * Update the computer system - it freezes all the time
    * Hire a cleaning staff to scrub toilets, vacuum and mop
    * Make sure there are men on staff that can lift the heavy furniture
    * Have a regional manager check up on the general manager and do surprise visits to see how employees are really treated
    * Pay your employees higher than minimum wage
    * Employees should be able to call off sick even if they can't find a sub
    * Have managers find subs for employees
    * Paid sick and holidays shouldn't be on the website as a perk since they aren't offered to part-time employees

Great at first, but gets worse as you gain rank

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, fun and interesting merchandise, incentives for both associates and management. Scheduling is fairly flexible.

Cons

Regional manager plays favorites, company likes to push in inexperienced, external management who take months to truly train. Wages suck, to start at minimum wage as an associate and only make 1.75 more as a management member is not enough to live on. Flex shifts make it hard for anyone to plan their life around work, and pushing the credit card as hard as they do makes it hard for employees to truly focus on customer service and determine the customer's needs. Unsafe working conditions, not enough focus on OCEA guidelines.

Cut the flex shifts. If someone else is needed, just schedule them to work in the first place. You can always send them home early. Focus less on conversion. Maintaining a 35-40% conversion rate is difficult enough, especially with all the other KPIs we have to focus on. Visual merchandising that follows the planner is understandable, but it's been proven in my store that "beautifying" it in a unique way as selldown occurs helps move the product. Customers have walked in and said, "I want that whole setup," and it wasn't even part of the planner. Relax a little, and compensate your frontline workers a little more. You in the home office have no idea what associates and managers are put through on a daily basis. I've seen so many people injured and that is simply not fair. Get it together, guys.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports