There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

The passion for the company faded.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA
Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount! If your store manager is amazing and hires employees that are amazing and blend well and work well together, it's a dream job!!! Many career advancement opportunities! Fun -- if you love the products and working with customers closely. Pier 1 customers are loyal and truly want the employee's ideas, advice.

Cons

When I first started in 2006 the company did something special for employees on Christmas- but that ended during my three year employment history. I was very disappointed. I am not sure what the situation is there current day. They also cut back on the amount of raises per year they'd give and the amount of raise. Short shifts as a sales associate. Decent hours as sales leader. Very few hours available per week for sales associates ranging from 4-15 hours. Not enough to pay rent, but the company didn't want me to have second job b/c that affected my availability. Underpaid as sales associate. When I advanced to sales leader, I made $10 a hour, which maybe would be fair for a month period. But there should be more raises and BETTER raises. Demanding goals to receive credit card sign ups per day.

Advice to Management

I transferred stores when I became a sales leader and unfortunately that management team made me fall OUT OF LOVE with the company. I was very disappointed but left the company because of it. Before that my previous store was awesome! Great managers equal GREAT stores and GREAT employees. As for the much higher ups.... my store frequently didn't have access to merchandising supplies we needed to prepare the store as the directory asked us to. The District Manager always said we couldn't afford it. That's strange to me, since we were trying to made our store to be the Pier 1 Standard. Make sure your store have the tool, supplies they need, and the employees do as well. Communication is huge. And a Thank you goes a LONG way during a store visit!!! (VISIT THE Stores!!! The employees work VERY hard to make the stores look the way they do and be successful as they are.)

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Hard work but fun!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of variety in day to day activities and workload. There is always something new happening and the job is never dull. The company values employee feedback and is always working to improve processes. Store managers are not mico-managed. There is some room for creativity and initiative is recognized.

Cons

It is a very physically demanding job, lots of walking and heavy lifting, very little sitting. There is a very broad assortment of merchandise in relatively small space that can be difficult to deal with. To be truly successful a GM needs to work long hours. Compensation is relatively is low and associate retention is a challenge.

One of the best

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager & Store Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager & Store Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented Managers are rewarded! If you are a talented manager (even a budding manager) you will be rewared with $ and opportunities...there are over 2000 stores with more opening and getting remodels! Opportunites galor! Great Staff from top to bottom! Did I mention I no longer work there? However, I know there will always be a place for me there! I have always and will always speak highly of Pier 1 Imports. You have a corporate staff who take significant time in creating a team atmosphere with trainings, celebrations, and recognition! You have employees (sales associates) there for +10 years. Divisional and regional members of management who started as sales associates. Regional and Divisional members of management who will move your displays (and not just the little ones) to help and teach you!

Cons

There are a limited amount of full time positions! Like any other retail business members of management are the only full time positions (and Home Office...it would be a dream!!) Moving furniture! Sad but true. The end result is worth it...but truth be told...in the moment (and there are plenty) it stinks!

Advice to Management

Work hard! Yes you will be moving furniture but if you're, truly, a Pier 1 person you'll love the end results. Be genuine with a smile...remember you're the host and the customers are your guests. Youre managment team and sales associates will get you there if you are always fair. Here is the biggest. Your hiring process is #1. If you think at any moment this person does not represent the brand...do not hire them!! You have to represent your customer base with your store's sales team.