Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

The passion for the company faded.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA
Former Employee - Sales Leader in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount!
If your store manager is amazing and hires employees that are amazing and blend well and work well together, it's a dream job!!!
Many career advancement opportunities!
Fun -- if you love the products and working with customers closely. Pier 1 customers are loyal and truly want the employee's ideas, advice.

Cons

When I first started in 2006 the company did something special for employees on Christmas- but that ended during my three year employment history. I was very disappointed. I am not sure what the situation is there current day.
They also cut back on the amount of raises per year they'd give and the amount of raise.

Short shifts as a sales associate. Decent hours as sales leader.
Very few hours available per week for sales associates ranging from 4-15 hours. Not enough to pay rent, but the company didn't want me to have second job b/c that affected my availability.
Underpaid as sales associate.
When I advanced to sales leader, I made $10 a hour, which maybe would be fair for a month period. But there should be more raises and BETTER raises.
Demanding goals to receive credit card sign ups per day.

I transferred stores when I became a sales leader and unfortunately that management team made me fall OUT OF LOVE with the company. I was very disappointed but left the company because of it. Before that my previous store was awesome! Great managers equal GREAT stores and GREAT employees.
As for the much higher ups.... my store frequently didn't have access to merchandising supplies we needed to prepare the store as the directory asked us to. The District Manager always said we couldn't afford it. That's strange to me, since we were trying to made our store to be the Pier 1 Standard. Make sure your store have the tool, supplies they need, and the employees do as well. Communication is huge. And a Thank you goes a LONG way during a store visit!!! (VISIT THE Stores!!! The employees work VERY hard to make the stores look the way they do and be successful as they are.)

671 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Roller Coaster

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount, fun merchandise, working with great customers, leading talented associates, great home office

Cons

New regional manager every 3 months. It is difficult to build mentoring/business relationships when there is so much inconsistency. There is a lot of pettiness and little remains confidential with senior management.

Please fill your positions in a timely manner. It creates low morale and it is a difficult working environment.

Not a bad experience, but wasn't too great either.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was a good part-time, minimum wage job.

Cons

Quickly realized there was little room to move up. Store manager had been there for years. Other sales associates who had been there for years were planning on moving on because they couldn't get any semblance of a promotion. Other retail places seem to have more opportunities.

Give us more credit! I felt small and replaceable (I guess I was).

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports