Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com

Underpaid

Pros

The environment if really fun. Everyday is always different. The merchandise is so fun and unique.

Cons

They work you very hard and have huge expectations. This wouldn't be so bad if you were paid fairly. You can go to most other retailers and work in a lower position and get paid more.

You need to pay people what they are worth. Assistant Store Managers work very hard and are not paid well. Store Managers work even harder and again do not get paid enough for what they go through.

Other reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Lack of leadership completely!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

I transferred from one Pier 1 to another and the one I am currently at is the one I will be discussing...
    1.) You can transfer in most cases if you move
    2.) The customers are for the most part friendly

Cons

1.) If you need off you either get someone to cover you or oh well you can't have off
    2.) Associates most times are not willing to cover other associates shifts.
    3.) Favors are given buy not received, i.e. I cover your shift you cover mine
    4.) There is absolutely no leadership, we currently have no store manager and you never see the woman who even makes the schedule and we aren't even given her number if we need it.
    5.) It takes a million tries to get the managers to give you any answers to questions.
    6.) You get scheduled when your availability says you can't work that day.
    7.) The other associates are mostly rude and catty.
    8.) There are too little managers, we have 2 as apposed to the 5 we should have.
    9.) I went from making $8.75 at my old Pier one to making minimum wage ($7.25) at my current store.
    10.) We are either over scheduled and people have to go home, or under scheduled where one associate is covering the whole floor by themselves for 4-5 hours at a time with one manager working.
    11.) The dress code is ridiculous for the work we do. If you are standing for 5 or more hours a day sneakers and comfort shoes should be allowed.
    12.) The prices are ridiculous on most things and unless you get a card you get no discounts.
    13.) Too much stock is brought into the store with too little space, making most stores look crammed and completely trashed.
    14.) Shipping online should not be so ridiculously priced.
     15.) Expectations are way too high. I sold 6 IC's in my first month working at Pier 1 and I was told that was ok but I need double that.

Overall, Management needs to work on being management because as of right now most associates are feeling like they constantly get the short end of the stick. I am thinking about quitting because of how many times in just a month I have had trouble with this store and because of how little leadership there is. If you cannot provide leadership you should not have a store. Two managers and no store manager is unacceptable. If there was any sort of leadership more than half of these problems would disappear. Management needs to open their eyes and realize the associates would meet expectations if expectations weren't so high. Also, it's hard to focus on expectations when the store has no one to guide it, so associates have to do a million different things at once. This company needs a big reality check.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY

Pros

Working at Pier 1 Imports grants you the occasional (and limited) creative freedom when assembling displays.

Cons

I loathed my time spent at Pier 1 Imports. The management refused to hire anyone that was actually physically capable of doing the very heavy lifting that the job requires. The entirety of the floor staff was composed of petite college-aged women and senior citizens; neither group was wholly capable of unloading couches, dressers, dining room tables, etc. The pay was absolutely paltry. All sales associates started at exactly minimum wage, with "raises" (of up to a whopping $0.10) being available (upon a glowing performance review) once every consecutive year. There was also pressure, bordering on harassment, to talk customers into signing up for the Pier 1 credit card. Furthermore, the tone of all instructional material distributed by the company was wildly sexist. All customers are referred only as "she" or "her" in Pier 1 literature. The only time I saw the mention of "he" or "him" was in a leaflet discussing what a mother should buy for her son going off to college. (There were no female-oriented dorm items shown, either.)

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!