Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
  www.pier1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Lack of leadership completely!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I transferred from one Pier 1 to another and the one I am currently at is the one I will be discussing...
1.) You can transfer in most cases if you move
2.) The customers are for the most part friendly

Cons

1.) If you need off you either get someone to cover you or oh well you can't have off
2.) Associates most times are not willing to cover other associates shifts.
3.) Favors are given buy not received, i.e. I cover your shift you cover mine
4.) There is absolutely no leadership, we currently have no store manager and you never see the woman who even makes the schedule and we aren't even given her number if we need it.
5.) It takes a million tries to get the managers to give you any answers to questions.
6.) You get scheduled when your availability says you can't work that day.
7.) The other associates are mostly rude and catty.
8.) There are too little managers, we have 2 as apposed to the 5 we should have.
9.) I went from making $8.75 at my old Pier one to making minimum wage ($7.25) at my current store.
10.) We are either over scheduled and people have to go home, or under scheduled where one associate is covering the whole floor by themselves for 4-5 hours at a time with one manager working.
11.) The dress code is ridiculous for the work we do. If you are standing for 5 or more hours a day sneakers and comfort shoes should be allowed.
12.) The prices are ridiculous on most things and unless you get a card you get no discounts.
13.) Too much stock is brought into the store with too little space, making most stores look crammed and completely trashed.
14.) Shipping online should not be so ridiculously priced.
 15.) Expectations are way too high. I sold 6 IC's in my first month working at Pier 1 and I was told that was ok but I need double that.

Overall, Management needs to work on being management because as of right now most associates are feeling like they constantly get the short end of the stick. I am thinking about quitting because of how many times in just a month I have had trouble with this store and because of how little leadership there is. If you cannot provide leadership you should not have a store. Two managers and no store manager is unacceptable. If there was any sort of leadership more than half of these problems would disappear. Management needs to open their eyes and realize the associates would meet expectations if expectations weren't so high. Also, it's hard to focus on expectations when the store has no one to guide it, so associates have to do a million different things at once. This company needs a big reality check.

629 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

please the customer, no matter what the cost to human dignity

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

discount and part time insurance

Cons

There are rules set into place, but they are just words on paper...customer can yell at you for following the rules set forth by corporate, but because Pier 1 is desperate to make it "her favorite place to shop", they will make employees take back items from years ago and then send the customer a gift card for their inconvenience. This does not foster confidence in the associates about the company nor management.

great people to work with

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

good customers and great products

Cons

compensation should match amount of work

better pay and work life balance

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports