There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Once a great company. Taking it's cue from most retailers

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love most people I work with, Love the merchandise and has decent benefits.

Cons

I am a Sales leader and was working full time at about 35-38 hours a week. After working in that position for nearly 2 years I was told I was only part-time and that my hours were going to be cut to 15-22 hrs a week. Rather than letting me stay full time and a second Sales lead remain part time they want to hire a 3rd sales lead and have all 3 people work part-time. Regional manager hires from other companies for store manager positions rather than promoting from within the company. Leading to low moral, as it shows us that all our hard work and dedication won't pay off in the end.

Advice to Management

Start showing your employees a little more respect. Telling them in training videos that the companies success is all because of them, but refuse to pay them decent wages.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This isn't a job, it's indentured servitude.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

The work is easy enough. Beyond that, there really aren't any pros to speak of.

Cons

EXTREMELY low hours, very low pay, no commission, not guaranteed a shift every week, favoritism, constantly having to be ready to work only to find out you don't get to work that day after all.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people if you can't give your employees hours.

Once a fun flexible part-time job..not anymore :(

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun merchandise, short shifts (that could either be good or bad depending on your situation)

Cons

I have worked here for 4 years and have watched how the company has turned from taking care of its own by being a flexible and fun place to work to adopting an attitude that every employee is "replaceable". Think used-car salesperson. They want you to be a high-pressure salesperson but with pay you as close to minimum wage as possible. They expect you to bombard customers as they enter the store with hellos and an immediate questioning of that customer of what they are looking for. Some customers appreciate the attention while most just want to be left alone. Another huge issue with all the stores is the high level of gossip that pervades the store. Employees who have been there for a while have their own cliques and tends to gossip/ make fun of newer employees. They also do this to other long-time employees who don't fit into their group. I have watched many employees be driven away because of this. A company run by women for women. If you're a man you will feel invisible. Even the selling documentation refers to all customers as either she or her. Apparently they don't care about their male customers. Overall this the kind of part-time job where you are expected to perform as if it were a full-time career.