Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The discount and the benefits, i.e. health and vacation time. Fun product, some reasonably priced.

Cons

There is zero work life balance. Expectations and targets are high which equates to low or no bonus for the store manager. New visual merchandising guidelines to make stores more consistent means we have no creative freedom, which limits the use of some people's talents. Upper management preaches and preaches about goals and expectations, but I hardly saw my regional manager for store visits. I hadn't had an official store visit summary in over two years, until my numbers fell below "expectations." Zero positive feedback from regional.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at what your field managers are doing, coming for a store visit late and then spending the majority of time in the office is not a store visit. Give credit for a job well done. Stop having a meeting, ad set, floor move, markdown report every Sunday so a manager can actually get a Sunday off every now and again.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fun company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, happy customers, flexible schedule, decent part-time pay. Online scheduling system makes it easy to request off and check time sheets. Company gives random sales incentive bonuses, holiday gifts and a five year bonus! Nice perks for a part-time job!

Cons

Stock room is always a mess and is hard to get any merchandise out.

Advice to Management

Please keep the gossiping between the management, do not involve the co-workers.

Family oriented-good work/life balance-

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

very family oriented, stress good work/life balance-pay is good and comparable to other companies,

Cons

Lean staffing means your responsibilities sometimes did not match your skill set yet expectation was to stretch your skill set to the maximum potential

Advice to Management

if you're running company with a lean staff, remember the teams that are left can suffer from feeling overworked, lack of direction, and feeling that there is no room for promotion or growth within the department