Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com

Once a fun flexible part-time job..not anymore :(

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

fun merchandise, short shifts (that could either be good or bad depending on your situation)

Cons

I have worked here for 4 years and have watched how the company has turned from taking care of its own by being a flexible and fun place to work to adopting an attitude that every employee is "replaceable". Think used-car salesperson. They want you to be a high-pressure salesperson but with pay you as close to minimum wage as possible. They expect you to bombard customers as they enter the store with hellos and an immediate questioning of that customer of what they are looking for. Some customers appreciate the attention while most just want to be left alone. Another huge issue with all the stores is the high level of gossip that pervades the store. Employees who have been there for a while have their own cliques and tends to gossip/ make fun of newer employees. They also do this to other long-time employees who don't fit into their group. I have watched many employees be driven away because of this. A company run by women for women. If you're a man you will feel invisible. Even the selling documentation refers to all customers as either she or her. Apparently they don't care about their male customers. Overall this the kind of part-time job where you are expected to perform as if it were a full-time career.

Other reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Once a great company. Taking it's cue from most retailers

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbus, OH

Pros

Love most people I work with, Love the merchandise and has decent benefits.

Cons

I am a Sales leader and was working full time at about 35-38 hours a week. After working in that position for nearly 2 years I was told I was only part-time and that my hours were going to be cut to 15-22 hrs a week. Rather than letting me stay full time and a second Sales lead remain part time they want to hire a 3rd sales lead and have all 3 people work part-time.
    Regional manager hires from other companies for store manager positions rather than promoting from within the company. Leading to low moral, as it shows us that all our hard work and dedication won't pay off in the end.

Start showing your employees a little more respect. Telling them in training videos that the companies success is all because of them, but refuse to pay them decent wages.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The discount and the benefits, i.e. health and vacation time. Fun product, some reasonably priced.

Cons

There is zero work life balance. Expectations and targets are high which equates to low or no bonus for the store manager. New visual merchandising guidelines to make stores more consistent means we have no creative freedom, which limits the use of some people's talents. Upper management preaches and preaches about goals and expectations, but I hardly saw my regional manager for store visits. I hadn't had an official store visit summary in over two years, until my numbers fell below "expectations." Zero positive feedback from regional.

Take a closer look at what your field managers are doing, coming for a store visit late and then spending the majority of time in the office is not a store visit. Give credit for a job well done. Stop having a meeting, ad set, floor move, markdown report every Sunday so a manager can actually get a Sunday off every now and again.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!