There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

probably good to shop at...horrible to work for!

Current Employee - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Store Associate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Visually the products were nice to work around
A few other staff members

Cons

I have since graduated University and am working an office job but prior to that I worked lots of part time retail jobs and this was the worst! I would first like to say that I was not a university student disinclined to work, nor was I entitled or reluctant to work a part time job because of the nature of eventually having a degree. I want to make that clear since that has been my experience with other students who tend to complain about work due to laziness and lack of interest in a position that does not lead to their ultimate career choice. The store manager at my location as a joke: rude, demeaning,obsessive, arrogant and offensive. They have flex shifts so you ay be scheduled 1-6 with a flex till 9 but they wont tell you until 4 if you have to stay. I was told this wouldn't happen often but it was every shift. That manager thought she was saving the world it was unreal. So much bad mouthing and drama creation to fill her time sitting in her office (which was most of the time). So rude to the staff and treated other managers and shift leaders like dirt. The delivery system was useless so there were always complaints! never enough people staffed. Unreasonable hours/breaks. I ended up walking out after a conversation with my manager on a day I had come in outside of my availability to help. I felt my personal life was invaded during the conversation, under appreciated and dis respected!

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your store managers! At the location I worked at around11 employees quit within a 3 month period for the same reason and it went unnoticed by anyone! if there's a massive turn over there's a problem and you should look into why people are quitting. So many people just never showed up for shifts anymore and told other shift leaders it was because of the treatment and dread of work but it never gets noted.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun, energetic company to work for if you enjoy home decor

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people are amazing.
    -Holiday season is fantastic.
    -The work environment is warm, exciting due to what you're selling.
    -Not required to be pushy - just know your product knowledge, be happy and enthusiastic and you're set.

Cons

I have no cons to list...

2. Over worked, Underpaid

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The 25% discount is great. There are lots of pretty things to look at.

Cons

The furniture quality is poor, Merchandise is overpriced, The training is minimal.