There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Its a job best for college students or teens without other work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Employee Discount is very nice

Cons

They expect you to live and breathe Pier 1 and any rumors of a 2nd job or prospecting a job open a whirlwind of distention and Ill feelings towards you.

Advice to Management

It's just a job. Yes it's your livelihood but don't treat another employee like they are out to get you the second they start looking for more work... you only give out 20 hours a week at that pay and you expect us to all just stay? Honestly?!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pier Misery

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get in great shape moving and lifting furniture.

Cons

Long hours and bad pay. Inventory is completely disorganized. Truck days are awful for everyone in the store, including customers. Long time customer, after working for the company I will never shop there again.

Advice to Management

District Managers are very intimidating and not supportive to the retail staff. Not a happy place to work.

The credit card is a huge deal

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will work around your schedule. 25% employee discount good on everything except sale items; you do get your discount on clearance items.

Cons

No commission. Very high turnover. In my first year at my store alone: 4 store managers, 5 assistant store managers, 5 sales leads, and countless sales associates. Only management gets actual part-time, sales associates are what they call "limited", less than 20 hours a week. You must mention the credit card no less than 4 times to each customer before they leave the store. Lately they have had a timer set and every hour when it goes off management comes around and checks your tally marks of how many times you've talked about the card. Raises are based on credit cards opened. Some "flex shifts" where you call an hour before you clock in to see if you actually work or not.

Advice to Management

Commission for all sales associates. The credit card needs an interest rate lower than 25% and instant-gratification incentives. Nobody wants to wait 2 weeks. Also, most of our customers pay with a Platinum Amex or Chase Presidential Plus. The annual fee on these cards are $450 and $395 respectively. Why would people willing to pay that high of an annual fee ever be interested in opening another card for 5% cash back at one store? The basket-weaving technique is a bad idea. Ever heard of "No means no"? I have had too many customers get belligerent and put their hands in my face because I mentioned the benefits of our card repeatedly. All of the trouble is not worth the pay for sales associates. If I make a $3000 sale, management should not put me down because it wasn't on the credit card, they should celebrate our success. From the inside it looks as if the dollar is king at Pier 1 and sales associates are fungible. We are real people too, with degrees and bills to pay.