Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frederick, MD
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun group to work with, things are constantly changing (this can be good and bad). Employee discount.

Cons

Limited hours and advancement. Due to constant change, one could be at a disadvantage when trying to inform the customer.

Advice to Management

Actual productive communication with staff is sporadic and it is difficult to get accurate information unless you ask store manager only. Being able to have up to date accurate information for floor staff should be available at each and every shift.

Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Its a job best for college students or teens without other work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Employee Discount is very nice

Cons

They expect you to live and breathe Pier 1 and any rumors of a 2nd job or prospecting a job open a whirlwind of distention and Ill feelings towards you.

Advice to Management

It's just a job. Yes it's your livelihood but don't treat another employee like they are out to get you the second they start looking for more work... you only give out 20 hours a week at that pay and you expect us to all just stay? Honestly?!

The credit card is a huge deal

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will work around your schedule. 25% employee discount good on everything except sale items; you do get your discount on clearance items.

Cons

No commission. Very high turnover. In my first year at my store alone: 4 store managers, 5 assistant store managers, 5 sales leads, and countless sales associates. Only management gets actual part-time, sales associates are what they call "limited", less than 20 hours a week. You must mention the credit card no less than 4 times to each customer before they leave the store. Lately they have had a timer set and every hour when it goes off management comes around and checks your tally marks of how many times you've talked about the card. Raises are based on credit cards opened. Some "flex shifts" where you call an hour before you clock in to see if you actually work or not.

Advice to Management

Commission for all sales associates. The credit card needs an interest rate lower than 25% and instant-gratification incentives. Nobody wants to wait 2 weeks. Also, most of our customers pay with a Platinum Amex or Chase Presidential Plus. The annual fee on these cards are $450 and $395 respectively. Why would people willing to pay that high of an annual fee ever be interested in opening another card for 5% cash back at one store? The basket-weaving technique is a bad idea. Ever heard of "No means no"? I have had too many customers get belligerent and put their hands in my face because I mentioned the benefits of our card repeatedly. All of the trouble is not worth the pay for sales associates. If I make a $3000 sale, management should not put me down because it wasn't on the credit card, they should celebrate our success. From the inside it looks as if the dollar is king at Pier 1 and sales associates are fungible. We are real people too, with degrees and bills to pay.