Pier 1 Imports

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Good Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pier 1 Imports recognizes that their sales associates are their best assets. While I worked for the company, I learned they had an excellent transfer policy - I was able to transfer to a store in a different state with no issue. Just like any retail environment, some managers manage better than others, but for the most part all those in management were encouraging and friendly with all of the sales associates. Starting pay at the time was slightly above minimum wage, and the review process guaranteed regular pay increases for those who performed at their best.

Cons

I would say the downsides were mostly few and far between. Most managers tend to have worked their way up in the company, so they know what it is like to have been a sales associate. The only communication issues tended to happen with managers, assistant managers, or sales leaders who were hired from the outside. Those folks were definitely the exception and not the rule, however, and tended to leave the company after a while.

Don't change a thing. The Christmas bucks, the encouragement of associates to work for the company long term, and the regular video updates and staff meetings really make Pier 1 a fun place to work. I've definitely worked for retail companies that did way less for their associates, and it showed in terms of customer service.

629 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

A very stressful and demanding job for minimum-wage pay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

There are discounts on shop merchandise. If you only want to work a part-time job and are very flexible, this might work well for you.

Cons

This is the most stressful job I have yet held. In addition to working the register, retrieving merchandise, putting together furniture, and (in theory) providing good customer service, for each shift I was expected to convince five people to sign up for coupon mail-outs and one person to agree to opening up a Pier 1 credit card. This was very stressful and difficult for me, because I felt very disrespectful not taking "no" as an answer from customers. I felt very much like a tacky and obnoxious telemarketer or door-to-door salesperson trying to get as much money out of people as possible, rather than focusing on a friendly and receptive relationship with customers that would leave them wanting to come back. So many of my interactions were scripted, and to be honest, someone with my personality could not read those lines without sounding very phony. Lastly, along with the minimum wage, Pier 1 hires only part-time workers as sales associates so that it doesn't have to give anyone benefits; only managers worked reasonable hours, and even they might not have gotten full-time.

As a worker, I did not feel that customers came first at Pier 1. My experience working here has turned me off from patronizing the company; management and corporate both came off as rather money-hungry to me, and I was in fact hardly given an opportunity to provide genuine customer service. Please treat your workers and customers less like numbers and humanize your company.

I did data entry, filing, scanning.

Former Employee - Data Entry Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Data Entry Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Pier 1 Imports as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It was interesting to work there.

Cons

They did not fulfill the needs of the job.

Try to help the employees to be more successful at their job.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports