Pier 1 Imports

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

High Expectations and little resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You gain retail experience and are never bored.

Cons

High turn over in associates. Scheduling employees outside of availability leaving less coverage and worn out associates and managers creating this endless cycle.

Expect to carry dining chairs and other heavy objects up a ladder and stack things dangerously around the store. You'll be performing other dangerous tasks like reaching while on the tip top of the ladder

you'll help people load and move they're giant furniture pieces with no help from your general manager(even if your a woman and he is a man)

Little to no real training. you will be thrown to the sharks on your first day. Yet if you do something wrong its still your fault, even if they never trained you on it

very advance and complex ordering processes leaving new associates clueless and customers frustrated when we cannot find their merchandise the spent hundreds of dollars on.

little to no communication between gm and management team

unrealistic expectations with little coverage

Micromanaging.

Customer service is not a priority, tasking and store appearances is, your numbers and conversion are going down because of this.

spend more time on your training. If you have an employee who is confident in what they are doing you wont have so many customer issues and employees who just walk out.

670 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Do not expect to advance, favoritism towards select employees...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Great accent décor. Customers that enjoy the experience at Pier One. Be prepared to not only sell, but stock/move merchandise, furniture, climb ladders, lift 50 lbs. or more. The diversity adds value to your shift, With the exception of 5:00 am trucks.

Cons

Favoritism to select employees with regards to weekly schedules/hours, including flex schedules in their favor. Their performance being no greater/better with regards to IC's, sales contribution, units per transaction, customer review, tasking etc... Several new lead positions, no promotions within, all hired outside. Do not expect to be advance in this store.

Value your associates they contribute more than you realize. We not only help and advise your new hires, we also give strength to the inexperience leads that have no clue of the expectations required to promote you and/or the store.[

Shopping there great! Working there, not so great....

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were great and very helpful. Even the customers were fun to work with.

Cons

*It took two months to get a call to come in for a interview.

*You are required to constantly 'nag' customers about signing up for credit cards. You are suppose to 'check up' on them every 10 to 15 minutes and try to sell the card. Even if they have the credit card you still need to tell them about the benefits.(Which are horrible)

*I was never told HOW heavy the heavy lifting was. I was lifting stuff the same weight as me. I wasn't able to get any help because the other associate was busy on the floor.

*They have flex shifts here. You are expected to call two hours before your flex shift to even see if you are working. All of the flex shifts I had I never worked. Loss of money. Most weeks flex shifts made up 25% to 50% of all my shifts.

*There was this mandatory meeting that I had full intention of going too.It turns out that I got sicker than a dog that day and I sleeping next to the toilet all day. I actually got off of work early from my other job because I was sick. Because I was sleeping next to the toilet, I lost track of time. The meeting was at 7:15 pm and by the time I realized what time it was, it was 7. I called in and let them know I wasn't going to be able to make it. The store manager was very upset and she made a big fuss about how she would have to take time out of work to go over the materials of the meeting. I was too sick to get angry. Since that point the manager was just mean to me. When we had to do an overnight reset of product she just barked at me constantly. There was one point that they were having trouble figuring out where this clearance products should go and I was working on a grid that was clearance and had plenty of room. I looked at the product and open my month for a moment and the store manager just ripped into me saying that wasn't my stuff to deal with. It was that night that I decided to put my two weeks notice in.

For the store manager, if you are upset with a worker be professional about it. Don't take your personal feelings out on that person.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports