Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
  www.pier1.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

This is where I go to relax

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working at this place so much. I work with an amazing group of people who are mature (for the most part) really funny and helpful.
I appreciate that the managers are very respectful, they are never condescending and they don't yell at you as if youre a child.
I once accidentally told a customer wrong info, the manager waited for to finish and politely said "I think they might've been moved to another floor" instead of cutting me off an yelling at me in front of the customer

Cons

Some employees who have been there for a while like to dictate and be a bit bossy.
Also the hours suck sometimes

Keep on doing what youre doing. Thank you for always visiting our store and being in touch. It shows you care about us.

608 Other Employee Reviews for Pier 1 Imports (View Most Recent)

Out of touch or they just don't care.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first job and I happened to luck out and have a great team of sales associates to work with. I learned a great deal of skills and knowledge from selling to product knowledge.

Cons

There are many outrageous expectations for part time sales associates to meet in this job yet they have an issue paying you for it. They will tell you that you'll be working 16 to 20 hours a week. Lie, you will actually only get 8 to 10 hours a week. You will be expected to make yourself available for a "flex shift" (also known as "on-call") that is only a 4 hour shift and you will likely get the call an hour before the shift is expected to start. And if you are not available for the flex shift then you will be written up for absence.

I happened to make it to management. That is where the real b.s. is. Managers are forced to participate in weekly confrence calls to be yelled at about their sales and instant credit results in the stores. You have a huge overlap of several stupid forms to fill out every day to record sale results and write personal testimonies on something you'll do different this week to get better pier 1 card results.

Regionals inspire gossip and competition between stores and within individual store management teams. Nothing you report to regionals will be in confidence and the results of this neglect and lack of support are a miserable work environment and passive aggression that inevitably affects the entire sales team.

Invest in your sales team and stop putting all the pressure of sales goals on your sales leaders. If you invest in full time associates, at least provide adequate payroll to give part time more than 10 hours a week, then you may see a rise in your sales as people start to care about working here. Allow for more than 2 to 3 associates working at a time as when someone calls out you're screwed to find a replacement in time, and it is also a safety issue. To only have 2 people staffed at closing is dangerous for the team and it is also a customer issue. Do you know how many customers just leave as a result of not having anyone available to answer questions?

Short Staffed

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flemington, NJ

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun products, 25% employee discount, nice customers. If you like physically demanding work, this is it. Lifting heavy furniture and moving full displays, unpacking and stocking shelfs, helping customers on the floor and Cashier, plus loading customer's cars with furniture and packages--all expected on one five hour shift, and it's just you and a manager.

Cons

There is no incentive to excel. Not enough hours a week and not enough associates per shift. Not sure if I just had the misfortune to be working with poor management. Heavy lifting is part of the position, but some associates were hired that refused to lift or go up a ladder. Was promoted to Sales Lead but stepped down due to poor management.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports