There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

very positive, loved all the associates and great working environment. I loved going to work everyday!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great working environment, great merchandise, positive people

Cons

moving the furniture was not fun

reviews filtered by
  1. Pier 1 Imports is a fun place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere at Pier 1 is inviting, the merchandise whimsical, co-workers friendly, and store managers are motivative in a positive way. They always make a point to say "Thank You" and are never pushy or degrading.

Cons

The pay isn't that great.

Fun environment, but job not for everyone

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful store, always good music playing, nice co-workers, vast majority of customers are friendly and easy-going, employee discount, store dollars at Christmas. Despite my complaints below , I still mostly enjoyed working here, even if the job wasn't for me in the end.

Cons

Every now and then having to hoist or retrieve large, heavy furniture from tip top shelves while balancing on ladders. While that would definitely be a two person job, still scary.

Constant pressure to sell the store credit card.

Very little hours if you didn't sell the credit card

Not introvert friendly. In other words, if you're the type of person who:

Is friendly but doesn't necessarily care about making instant friends with each and every co-worker

Embodies a subtle, less in-your-face sales approach,

Is a more independent minded individual who prefers to learn and be left on their own to grow and develop, with the occasional question to help that process every now and then,

then you may not enjoy your time with this company.

Granted, while this is typical of most group work environments, given the small number of people you work with on the floor at any given time, these issues become magnified and a sort of clique-like environment develops. In the case of my store, that seemed to explain why certain associates were readily given tasks or asked to help out with projects while other associates were ignored. Even if I volunteered my help, there were times in which I'd be met with a sort of you-can't-sit-here, high school cafeteria vibe.

Having to deal with certain managers who have a massive chip on their shoulder. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to "not be afraid to ask questions" then have that same person turn around and act annoyed or put off by any question I might have and give me a very curt response..
    I kid you not, after trying to explain to one manager in particular that I didn't know how to properly organize the lamp section, and that I needed help she snapped "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!" She acted like I was lying when I said no one had ever shown me how to properly do that task in all the time I'd worked there.

OR, depending on the manger, having your every move, every word, scrutinized, because they mistakenly assumed that if you're naturally quiet and soft spoken, you must lack confidence and that you need your hand held at every turn. It got the the point where no matter what I did to help customers, no matter how much knowledge I displayed, the manger would misinterpret the situation to look as if I had acted timid and uninformed when that was far from the case.
    For example, I once asked a customer a couple of questions regarding a product she was looking for, but we were both having trouble finding at its normal location. She wasn't sure of the actual name of the product, so I did some research on our inventory system, and right before she was about to give up and leave, I found something and asked, " Is it beer steins you're looking for?" and that was EXACTLY what she needed. And yet I ended up getting a lecture from a manger about my lack of product knowledge, (as part of a larger lecture about my supposed lack of confidence in general) because she misheard me and thought I'd asked "DO WE HAVE beer steins?" It was at the point where I knew based on experience that trying to correct the misunderstanding would be an act of futility.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES.

If a person works best independently with the occasional critique, allow that person their space. Don't insist on micro-managing that person because that only makes things worse.

Conversely, don't make employees feel like they can't approach you with questions to improve their knowledge and skill. We want things to run as smooth and productive as you do. We know that you're busy, but which wastes more time in the long run, taking two minutes to answer a question or help with a task, or having to fix mistakes from uninformed employees?

Actually take in and process what your employees are saying. Don't just give out the first automated, knee-jerk, contradictory response that comes to mind. I can't tell you how many times where it was abundantly clear that a manager didn't really focus on what I said, that they just skimmed the surface of the conversation and came up with a response that was only marginally relevant to the issue.

Stop assuming that quiet people don't have sales skills. We simply have a different approach that can work just as well, if not better, depending on the situation. You cannot force people to be extroverts. It is not a superior way of being and working against an individual's natural abilities is a recipe for disaster.