There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Great job for students

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spokane, WA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours and days are very flexible and ideal for students - my managers always made plenty of room in my schedule for my finals and were understanding about my change in availability every semester. Company culture demands professionalism and encourages fun. For anyone who wants to work in sales long or short-term, Pier 1 provides great training in selling practices and in ways to connect personally with your customers.

Cons

No one has the option of full time hours other than managers. Small pay raises occur regularly once a year with reference to how long you have worked in the company rather than to performance. Although my experience has been good overall, the major con of working for Pier 1 is simply that it is a corporate giant, and I often felt that while my store managers were entirely reasonable and generous, the company as a whole was more interested in its own growth and profit than in the growth and profit of its associates - lots of people like that schema, but it's not for me.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your environmental practices (e.g. find a way to stop mailing every store 12 paper tags for an item that only a handful of stores even have one of in stock). Raise the available part-time hours to 30 hours/week.

reviews filtered by
  1. Pretty boring job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've always loved visiting home furnishing stores, so I enjoyed it here quite a bit. It was nice looking at the beautiful furniture and home accessories. Loved most of the people I worked with.

Cons

Associates would constantly get written up if they did not convince any customer's to open up a Pier 1 Credit Card. What do they expect us to do? Shove it down their throats? I can explain the benefits all I want, but if the customer says no, it's NO. Not my fault if they don't want to open up another credit card, especially if they can only use it at Pier 1!
    The customers were pretty snobby and rude too, so that didn't make it any more enjoyable for me.
    Low pay and only 4 hour shifts.

Competitive even if they claim it's not

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Short shifts and 25% discount

Cons

- You typically only get 2-3 shifts a week, and at least two "on call" shifts. There is no consistency in which days you're working and what time.
    - The pay is not much higher than minimum wage, and any raise is a couple pennies (after a year of working there). This on top of 8-12 a week is not enough to pay the bills.
    - I was told they were super flexible should I need to change my hours. I got a second job (which pays better and gives more hours), and my manager was very disgruntled when I told her I would be changing my availability.
    - I have worked here for quite some time and they have only ever zoned me to register. Had I known this was a cashier position, I would not have accepted it.
    - They claim it's not a competitive environment that every employee is equal and we are a team with one goal, not individual goals. Yet, they are constantly competing with other stores and each other to get Pier 1 cards.
    - Pretty much, your job depends on the Pier 1 card. The way management has told me that I need to get a card has made me feel as though I'd be fired by the end of the day if I didn't sign someone up for one.
    - Bottom line, they care way too much about the Pier 1 card.
    - The on call shifts are extremely aggravating. Some are closing shifts, so you sit around all day until you can call two hours before the scheduled time. It definitely gets in the way of your personal life.
    - The staff are super cliquey. I have never felt welcomed by the team I work with.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the on call shifts. Relax on the Pier 1 card. Understand that some people need more than 8 hours a week, so you do need to be open to the idea of your employees having second careers.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports