There are newer employer reviews for Pillar Hotels and Resorts

Wonderful company to work for - pleasant coworkers & managers who care!

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several benefits with numerous hotel chains. Very pleasant co workers & managers who care about their employees. I've never had a problem voicing my opinion & having it taken seriously. Amazing working environment @ the corporate level; it is easily the best company I've ever worked for. This company is definitely expanding; they're getting bigger every week. Thus, now is the perfect opportunity to begin working for the company, while you're a person, rather than a number. I see this company exploding in the future, as long as upper management gives credit where it is due, provides more of an incentive, and acknowledges the amount of work that each employee actually does. I am very optimistic for this company, for they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they start to hire competent managers at the hotel level. There is a lot of potential for growth! Raises & promotions are easy to get if you are competent, enthusiastic about your job, and willing to accept & complete challenging tasks. Corporate is always available & more than willing to help their hotel-level employees.

Cons

Too much is handled by too few employees at corporate. Time off & incentives could use a lot of work. Employees at the hotel level (rather than corporate) are quick to point the finger; they often procrastinate on projects then make excuses for missing deadlines, rather than having a proactive, punctual approach. Several General Managers rely on lower level employees to do all of the work, rather than leading by example & getting their hands dirty. They act more like bosses, rather than leaders (their minds are focused on"me" rather than "us").

Advice to Management

Consider the amount of work that is on the employees' plates & try to not spread them too thin; they work VERY hard without complaining. Give credit where it is due. Quality is better than quantity; it's more profitable & feasible to manage fewer, higher quality properties, rather than looking for MORE hotels to manage. If quantity is desired, at least raise the standards, or take the time & spend the money to improve the hotels that clearly need a lot of improvements. GMs need to be hired based on experience, competence, and a vested interest in taking care of their employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I wish I would enjoy it more than I do

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel discounts, promotions from within for upper management, hourly staff are not promoted. Overall corporate was good and supportive when needed.

Cons

Lack of training and guidance, horrible treatment by the GM. She was rude, belittling, and constantly putting others down. Lower salary than competitors

Advice to Management

If the staff of an entire hotel is complaining about the treatment and lack of respect coming from the GM, you may want to listen. Stop ignoring the problem and fix it before it's too late. Losing staff after staff member is not worth keeping a GM that is ultimately going to cause a law suite. Good luck!

Micro-Management at its finest

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits-but they are expensive. Room discounts Earn Vacation time & Sick time

Cons

Benefits- expensive for what you make. Micro-managed, no autonomy for anyone to do the right thing Unethical Favoritism Do not appreciate employees with experience Managers & Sales Managers can talk to you however they want and get away with it No training to progress No raises, even if there is...it is not much Low pay for what you are required to do Belittled Unqualified people in upper management positions Managers hire friends for upper management positions

Advice to Management

Treat all your employees with respect. Allow them to do the right thing for their guests and for employees. Everyone is an adult and not a child, treat them as such. The company needs some ethics training. When employees try to do what is right for the customer, employees get in trouble for it (backwards, don't you think?). Offer better training for employees so they know what they are doing. Also offer Management Training courses for those who wish to go into Management with the company (not just the ones the Upper Managers like-not effective). Pay your employees better, there are other hotels who pay way more!