Pillar Hotels and Resorts

www.pillarhotels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pillar Hotels and Resorts

Good benefits but lack of promotion opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as sick time and vacation time which accumulate rapidly. Yearly evaluations with the potential to get up to 4 % of your annual salary.

Cons

Very few promotions of current employees. Management and supervisor positions are filled from outside the company. It doesn't matter if you give 110 % or 20 % everyone is considered the same, hard work is not recognized and lack of employee appreciation leads to low moral.

Some general managers hardly every show up to work on a regular basis and promotions from within in are practically nonexistent. Employee appreciation is also nonexistent eventhough we are the ones that are the face of the hotels.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Pillar Hotels and Resorts (View Most Recent)

Odd Hotel Group

Former Employee - General Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any. That's why I left.

Cons

Very large Female presence in management - almost completely. This might be a plus for some but be ready for some very 'surface' effectiveness. With the exception of only 1 or 2 at the home office they come off as patronizing and extremely controlling - in the end to the detriment of the hotel. There is zero culture and a feel of being acknowledged or rewarded with the feeling of becoming a long term employee/manager based on success is not there at all.

Hire a company that specializes in coming in and igniting a culture within your business. Without good people working for you - you will lose. The constant ads for managers on hotel industry hiring sites tell the story of constant management turnaround - that is another warning sign that scared me off.

Wonderful company to work for - pleasant coworkers & managers who care!

I have been working at Pillar Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Several benefits with numerous hotel chains.
    Very pleasant co workers & managers who care about their employees. I've never had a problem voicing my opinion & having it taken seriously.
    Amazing working environment @ the corporate level; it is easily the best company I've ever worked for.
    This company is definitely expanding; they're getting bigger every week. Thus, now is the perfect opportunity to begin working for the company, while you're a person, rather than a number. I see this company exploding in the future, as long as upper management gives credit where it is due, provides more of an incentive, and acknowledges the amount of work that each employee actually does. I am very optimistic for this company, for they have a bright future ahead of them, as long as they start to hire competent managers at the hotel level.
    There is a lot of potential for growth! Raises & promotions are easy to get if you are competent, enthusiastic about your job, and willing to accept & complete challenging tasks.
    Corporate is always available & more than willing to help their hotel-level employees.

Cons

Too much is handled by too few employees at corporate.
    Time off & incentives could use a lot of work.
    Employees at the hotel level (rather than corporate) are quick to point the finger; they often procrastinate on projects then make excuses for missing deadlines, rather than having a proactive, punctual approach.
    Several General Managers rely on lower level employees to do all of the work, rather than leading by example & getting their hands dirty. They act more like bosses, rather than leaders (their minds are focused on"me" rather than "us").

Consider the amount of work that is on the employees' plates & try to not spread them too thin; they work VERY hard without complaining. Give credit where it is due. Quality is better than quantity; it's more profitable & feasible to manage fewer, higher quality properties, rather than looking for MORE hotels to manage. If quantity is desired, at least raise the standards, or take the time & spend the money to improve the hotels that clearly need a lot of improvements. GMs need to be hired based on experience, competence, and a vested interest in taking care of their employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Pillar Hotels and Resorts