There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J

First 15 years were good - then all down hill after the recession.

Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay as a General Manager...decent benefits...Years ago they cared about you as a person and respected family values.

Cons

Life/Work balance very poor...Micromanage you to death...It was all about suggestive selling the last 3-4 years...When times are tough you cant pinch dollars out of every customer - they only lightened up on the staff because of customer comments on facebook and via corp website.

Advice to Management

Stop driving all year experienced staff out the door just to save money...drop the promote from within since you dont...stop being so greedy...

reviews filtered by
  1. Worse place I've ever worked, very degrading

Former Employee - Low Level Manager in Port Huron, MI
    Former Employee - Low Level Manager in Port Huron, MI

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers talk down to you in front of other employees and customers, they have a no facial hair policy but my female RGM has a beard. The list goes on.

Cons

Crap management training they tell you about imortant things but never teach you. no job shadowing
    benefits are crazy expensive @ 129.00 per week.

Advice to Management

Speed of service is important but so is quality of service. Customers don't want to be rushed anymore than they want to be delayed.
    Passive aggressive actions by upper management creates a hostile work environment. Hence the actions by the opening RGM at store #596 and when I said something to her manager I was let go.

2. This company has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth that has slowly began to erode the lining in my stomach.

Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Cashier in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've made 2 very good friends while working for this company.

Cons

Since our company was taken over, workers that have been employed for years have suddenly become seen as incompetent and obsolete. Pay raises are almost nonexistent, and promotions go to the worst possible employees, who, by the way, receive very little training. The worst part is, former full time employees are stripped of their hours, forced to work only 3 or 4 days, but the company keeps hiring new employees, intentionally reducing the number of hours available for each employee.

Advice to Management

We have 2 general managers at our store, but somehow our store is among the worst managed i've ever seen. The problem is that both GMs are so concerned that the other might receive a moment of recognition that the other does not, or that one may get a smile from corporate management that the other misses, that they cannot manage effectively. Our night shift team is a mess, and coming from one who has had the task of managing that shift, I can honestly say it is not the fault of the lower management team. They can only do so much with what they are given, but they carry the blame if anything goes wrong. It does not take a genius to figure out that with 2 GMs, one should always be available to work nights. This will avoid any uneducated finger pointing when something is not done because it is very easy to blame someone else for their perceived shortcomings when you have never tried to work their position.