There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J

Amazing experience for recent college graduates

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time

Pros

Amazing travel experience and learning opportunity for recent college graduates, all expense paid opportunity to travel to different parts of the country. The locations varies.

Cons

Unorganized management, management in C-Stores need to spend more time training employees rather than hanging bags of candies. They try to use technologies but doesn't always work.

Other Employee Reviews for Pilot Flying J

1. An Endurance Test, But One to Grow On...

Former Employee - Retail/Stock Service in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Retail/Stock Service in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Pilot Flying J part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very fast-paced learning experience. Work objectives were easy enough... I never had any major problems scheduling around my classes while attending college...Much respect to some of the general managers I had, who were mostly even-tempered and helpful through their own workload... I was able to work as little or as long of a work week as necessary...It was certainly a job - and an endeavor to grow on, which brings me to my next point...

Cons

You're essentially doing the work of a Walmart employee, a custodian, as well as a cashier for a glamorous minimum wage. The transactions a team member processes deal with food, fuel, grocery, merchandise, and tobacco. If you work during the day, you're guaranteed to get a steady to constant flow of customers, and during the rare time periods where you're not assisting people you're involved with cleaning the counter and the deli/coffee section. I realize that professional drivers carry out a job considered by many to be in a most dubious category, but a lot of the kind of people that stopped in at this store were representatives of the downside of mankind. As a team member, you're putting in a remarkable effort at keeping things rolling and attempting to meet the needs of these people to total indifference, or even humiliation when something would go wrong with the erroneous P.O.S. systems or when one customer would be in a particularly rude mood. Not to mention that I felt like the company would be setting up team members for this kind of backlash with their methods of pricing. I stuck it out being a team member here, and my good will ultimately got me through the toils of this customer service position.

Advice to Management

This is a fast-paced, complex work environment that you're throwing team members into. If you're going to expect a superhuman effort from each employee, don't pay a joke of a wage. Sooner or later, the more solid workers will find better opportunities at much better companies.

Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Pilot Flying J full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a salaried position.

Cons

Well basically every other aspect of the job.

Advice to Management

You should take better care of your employees and managers. At least pretend you care.