Pilot Flying J

www.pilotflyingj.com
  www.pilotflyingj.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J

Great people at my location, not a big fan of corporatism though

Current Employee - Cashier/Team Leader in New Braunfels, TX
Current Employee - Cashier/Team Leader in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

The team I work on is made up of a bunch of great people. Of course, there is always one or two people who can be annoying or jerks, but overall the work environment is great. The truth about the truckers is that 98% of them are great to interact with. It's that 2% that some people focus on and they forget about all the nice ones. I'm in school studying economics, so its nice having all the different varietys of people who have such different perspectives on the state of the nation to ask questions to. Working at a truck stop/convenience store, you get to talk a lot of politics/public policy/economics with people, so I love that apect of it as well. Most of the customers I get are really cool people, and the 2% that are pissed off or bitter about something, I just remind myself that it's nothing personal and move on.

Cons

To be fair I came to work here with a lot of experience, but the training was abysmal. I had to learn pretty much everything here on my own. A lot of trial and error is involved and it can get frustrating. I also wish the labor wasn't so tight. It's really annoying being called so often to come and work for someone when I've already planned my week ahead of time.

A greater emphasis on training is needed. Obviously, the labor issue and the training issue are inter-related. I know Pilot is making insane amounts of profit right now. Invest some of that into training please.

236 Other Employee Reviews for Pilot Flying J (View Most Recent)

A place to grow, so you can move on to a better organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Every position is capable of being notice3d and moving the needle.
    Work is fast paced and expectations are high.
    Good work is acknowledged with a significant bonus.
    The people are friendly

Cons

Top management is not people oriented to any degree
    Top management is more interested in doing new deals than sticking to its knitting

Try to get it right next time.

Abominable Employee Relations

Former Employee - Cashier in Muskogee, OK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Muskogee, OK

I worked at Pilot Flying J

Pros

Fellow employees at this center are, in the majority, very likable, and out customer base of truckers were fantastic people.

Cons

In this 24-hour truck stop we had 12 lower level employees and 4 supervisor/managers, yet no management was available. It was common for the 2 cashiers on duty (usually one) to have their registers locked up and 20 or more people backed up in line, simply because a manager would not come out of the office to clear the problems. Training was non-existant. Employees are not allowed to verify their start tills. Breaks are clocked out for, but worked. Customer service is never a priority. Management gossips about management.

Hire some management. This particular store is on its 6th general manager in 4 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Pilot Flying J